Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove and parked. Now no crank or start. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 04:36 AM
Unhappy Drove and parked. Now no crank or start. Help!

I have a 2001 Honda Civic EX (everything stock and is a 5-speed). I drove it a few miles up the road to my local barbershop and parked it. I was there for about 15 minutes when I returned to the car. I pushed the clutch down and went to turn the key to start it. Nothing. No sound of the starter at all or the engine trying to roll. So I know it isn't a fuel issue. I know that the fact it isn't cranking tells me it has to do with power and I suspect the battery even if the battery is fairly new. It has the manufactured sticker saying it was made in August of 2020. I am going to attempt to jump it and see it I can get it started. If so then I will get it to idle and remove the negative from the battery. That should help me isolate weather it is the battery or alternator. What else should I check? And what if it keeps running? Does that mean it I have a bigger issue at hand? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am posting this because I haven't seen anything on this forum with my situation on there. And I also need to ask for help and to help others if they run into this issue. This is my first post here so I apologize if I posted in the wrong place. I will also keep posting updates here as I continue to diagnose the issue.

Note: I did have a check engine light on already prior to this. The code was P0420 but haven't checked it since all of this has happened.

UPDATE: Just ran the jumpers from a good car and let it run for about 15 minutes to ensure a good charge. Still no crank. Not sure if it's the starter because it hasn't showed any signs of it starting to fail. Always started up fine. Battery is ruled out as the issue. Possibly a ground issue? Like, maybe it came lose when I was last driving? Perhaps it is a sensor like a crank or cam position sensor? Coil pack module possibly?

Last edited by kintaris; 07-14-2021 at 05:34 AM.
Old 07-14-2021, 04:13 PM

Got it figured out finally. So after checking the battery, alternator, starter and battery cables and all of that coming back good. I checked the clutch safety switch, I saw the broken pieces of the stopper on the floor mat. I am making one out of some spare rubber I have lying around. But I pushed the switch by hand and turned the key and the car started right up. So to everyone that is having that issue, check that first!