Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Electrical Mystery

Old 04-20-2011, 03:35 PM
Question Electrical Mystery

Hi,

I have a 2001 Civic HX.

A few weeks ago my Kenwood radio stopped working. A few days ago I got time to pull it out and inspect the wiring and connectors to see if something had come apart to cause the loss of power to my radio. All seems OK. I used a volt meter and am seeing 12.85 volts to the radio(red / black wires on aftermarket radio harness). Same voltage at the factory connector. I was baffled so I left the radio out and went in the house. The next day I come out to the car to go to work. The dome light does not come on when I open the door, the buzzer does buzz when the headlights are left on and the ding does not occur with the keys in the ignition and power door locks do not work, UNLESS I have the key in the "On" position, then all works normally. In accessory none of the above work. Also the dash lights do not light up when in accessory with the head lights on, but lights normally when in the "on" position. I checked all fuses tonight. I made sure all wiring harness connectors are properly connected. It seems there is a common wire somewhere affecting all of this, but still I am baffled by the radio not turning on with 12+ volts going to it. I ordered a new radio thinking my old one was dead. It too will not power up. Not having a wiring diagram and being a green rookie with electrical I do not know what else to check. Any ideas or suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Paul

Old 04-20-2011, 04:13 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Did you check the fuses under the hood too?

Aftermarket radios need power supplied to both the red and yellow wires to work. The red wire is live with the key on. The yellow wire is live all the time. The black wire is ground.

The other problems could be a bad ground under the dash. Whenever seemingly unrelated stuff starts to interact, suspect the grounds. Also I think all the functions you mentioned are controlled by the multiplex control module, so it could be bad.