Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Need Help with 93 Civic DX 2 dr transmission and brake problems....... I think.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 09:35 AM
Default Need Help with 93 Civic DX 2 dr transmission and brake problems....... I think.

OK here it goes 1993 dx cp 148.000 miles .... Nothing special done to it ..... that i know of i bought it 4 days ago..... First and for most this cars brakes are not grabbing idk.. it takes me for ever to stop and when stopped my pedals to the floor and i swear it still freakin moves! I havent had the car checked out im goin on what i know and feel... Second is the hard and i mean hard shifting its AUTOMATIC .... If i take it easy on the gas on take off 1st to second is a hard and second to 3rd... at these times it is at high rpm when shifts (goin on sound ) Now if i smash the pedal it shift smooth 1st to 2nd hard 2nd to 3rd..... and also seems to shift like a manual down from 2nd.... This car is a nice car the engine is smooth and runs great except the hard shifts.. i was hoping i could get some feed back from some honda guys and thier thoughts were... before i go and get told to replace the trans.... HELPPPP

Old 04-20-2011, 04:38 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Don't drive with faulty brakes. First take the cap off of the reservoir and check the brake fluid level. If it is all gone, find the leak and make repairs. After running out of fluid you will need to bleed the air out of the system. If you still have fluid it could be a bad master cylinder or air in the system. A bad master cylinder will usually still catch some when you first jam on the brakes, but then with prolonged braking the pedal sinks to the floor and the brakes release.

The transmission has a mechanical control cable linked to the throttle. What is supposed to happen is when you are light on the throttle it shifts at low rpm. When you press hard on the gas it changes to let the engine rev up more before it shifts. It sounds like your cable is stuck that way, or improperly adjusted, or put together wrong. If you need to add or change transmission fluid use only Honda type, not generic ATF. The Honda automatics are real fickle about fluid. Use no additives either.