Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

electrical problem...i need help :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 12:48 PM
Default electrical problem...i need help :)

there seems to be some sort of electrical problem in my 97 civic...i drove most of last winter without a working speedometer. i've replaced the speed sensors, run wires to see if there's a short, checked and cleaned all the grounds and terminals..i did everything i can think of. it eventually fixed itself a few months later, and has been fine since march of this year. just a few days ago, it's started acting up again, seeming to be no reason for it.
if anyone could give me some ideas of what else to do or replace, or anything, please let me know.
thank you, i appreciate it..

Old 12-06-2008, 04:24 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Does the odometer keep rolling like it should? If so, it's the speedometer unit in the dash. The odometer part runs on the same pulses, so it's getting pulses from the sensor.

If not, it could still be the speedometer/odometer assembly but you should first get under the car and check for damage to the wire harness behind the engine where it goes over the bracket that holds the intake manifold on. This is a common problem with those model years.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:18 AM

yes i've checked the harness already.
the odometer doesn't work when the speedometer doesn't...

Old 12-07-2008, 07:51 AM
Recognized HCF Member

im guessing the speedometer itself has gone bad. ive had this happen twice... just replace the cluster with a used one.
it doesnt matter what model cluster just as long as its with in your 96-00 range.
the cluster can simply pop apart and with 3screws on the back of the cluster the speedometer section will slide right out the front and you can swap in your working speedo. OR if you just want a quick and simply swap just plug the whole new unit into place... tho you do pay alittle more for the EX WITH TACH clusters... but it you dont mind spending an extra 20-30bucks or so... just do the plug and play.
very easy...
the speed sensor is not the problem because you dont have a CEL light ON.... thats the main give away that the clusters speedometer just went bad... it happens quite often really dont feel bad.