Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

emission indicator comes on

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 03:37 PM
HCF Member
Default emission indicator comes on

hi i have a 04 civic lx and this light came on today randomly and stayed on. I recall a while ago that it came on and off for such a short remainder of time that i disregarded it, but now it st

ays on compeltely. I am wondering what can be the causes of this

my car is in good shape with 45k miles on it and all i did to my car today was wash it. I told my parents and ill prob take it into the shop soon because my manual says even if the light goes off, it could ruin my emission control and engine. im just wary about ttaking it into the shop without knowledge of what could be the problems because i know some places fix ur car by just turning the indicator light off -_-...

o also i have an aem sri, and i checked the sensor and that is comepltely fine and fitting if that helps

Old 10-13-2007, 08:19 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: emission indicator comes on

does having an intake break my warranty with honda

also how much would it cost to get it checked up at a shop

Old 10-13-2007, 08:52 PM

The code for the problem would most likely be logged and can be read easily by most auto shops.
As part of a maybe quote, they should read and reset the computer usually for no or little charge.
Hope this is useful!

Old 10-14-2007, 01:09 PM
HCF Member

thnx, so is taking it into my dealer worse then any other shop

i hear dealers overcharge you but my dad doesnt want to go any where but the dealership. also he is bitching at my about my intake saying "i told u not to get it incase something like this happens" and is demanding me to replace my stock intake just to bring it into the shop

thing is my friend installed it for me and i learned how to do it but it is a lot of trouble for me and i really dont feel like replacing it just for 1 day

another thing is that my friends told me that the indicator light that came on is the CEL but my manual says its the emission indicator ><, im starting to think that the light came on just for routine maintainance

Old 10-14-2007, 07:27 PM

try checking your battery connectors, i had a problem like that to, so all i did was throw some washers in to tighten up the battery connectors and just like that it was fixed. oh and u might want to make sure ur gas cap is on nice and tight cause u dont want to go to auto zone and look like an *** lol, its happened to me before.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:11 PM
HCF Member

wat my dad did was go to honda dealer and got me a new gas cap and i tightned it up, then after i reset my battery

the lights gone! and hasnt come back after driving for like 15 minutes

problem solved? i hope so but im not sure lol