Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

engine fan not operating,mechanic said replace immobilizer

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 07:38 PM
Question engine fan not operating,mechanic said replace immobilizer

hi.3 weeks ago, my honda civic 2007 matic recently got flooded up to its dashboard. we followed the necessary protocols for flooded cars (dont start, change oils, etc). The car was able to start and run, aircon, stereos, headlights, etc all ok, BUT the lcd on the dashboard that shows the temperature guage, speedometer and gas guage is blank and is blinking a red light (it was originally yellow when the car is off). we thought it was a minor circuit problem so we drove it around and it overheated, turns out that the engine fan is not functioning at all (but the fan linked with the A/C is functioning). my dad said the control that transmits signals for the fan to operate when the engine temperature is up might be busted. had it checked with a mechanic/electrician and he said the IMMOBILIZER has to be replaced. I'm confused.. arent immobilizers for alarms and security purposes??? What do you guys think? and what does the blinking red light means?..Please i need a more expert advise. Thank a lot.
PS. btw, we had the fan connected directly to the battery and it worked. just doesnt work when driving and when it is not attached directly to the battery.
THANK YOU!!!!

Last edited by floodcuks; 10-16-2009 at 07:45 PM. Reason: to add questio9n mark icon
Old 10-16-2009, 11:40 PM
Chubby Chaser

does the temp gauge work?
also test the fan relay
no it isnt the immobilzer you are right , he prob is just wanting to rip you off.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:08 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Get rid of that car. Flooded cars are always a total loss. One thing after another is going to fail on you. It's not worth it.