Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

engine removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 09:47 AM
Default engine removal

new here actually returning and should have posted here, have to pull the engine out of my 2000 civic with a manual transmission, never done it before but i will if need be and install a new one, does the engine/transmission come out as a whole unit, from the top, what tools??? any videos??? i know a lot to ask. anyone in the baltimore area want to make some money or trade for set of 16 inch HFP rims with yokohama low profile tires, let me know also. they are for sale and a picture in my garage. son put them on the car, rides like a go cart and sticks like glue, but you can feel a pebble if you ride over it.

thanks

Old 05-01-2012, 10:13 AM

Pulling the stock motor shouldn't be too hard. I had mine out within a few hours during the motor swap I did last summer.

Pull axles, remove wiring harness (label EVERYTHING), fuel lines, radiator hoses, vacuum hoses exhaust manifold, intake piping, and anything else that would be connected to the motor (A/C, P/S lines I think)

When everything was off the motor, I used and engine hoist to lower the motor onto the ground after unbolting the mounts. Put the motor on a lid from a tote for it to slide out easily.

Once the motor was on the ground, I lifted the front end of the car up with the engine hoist and simply slid the motor out from the bottom. The new motor I installed was put in the same way the old motor was removed, raised up the car, slid the new motor under it, lowered the car back down and used the hoist to lift the motor up to bolt to the mounts.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:16 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I've always removed from the top. Pull axles out of the transmission (undo lower ball joints and swing the hubs out) but it is not necessary to remove axles from the car entirely. Unbolt the A/C compressor and P/S pump but do not disconnect the lines. Same with the clutch slave cylinder (don't let anyone press the clutch pedal while it is like that). Take off the starter, the top starter bolt is a good place to attach your chain to lift. When removing the engine from the top, you must remove the alternator. It doesn't look like that would be necessary-- but it is because you have to swing the engine/transmission around clockwise to clear some stuff on the right side, and the alternator pulley will hit the frame if it is still attached. Also if you opt to remove from the top, the hood should go up high enough to get it out without detaching the hood as is necessary on many cars.

Last edited by mk378; 05-01-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:56 AM

i have pulled out engines with trees from big v-8 cars, transmissions on the ground, vw beetle engines but never a honda engine in all 3 of the hondas i own. guess it is time, will try with pulling the motor out the top. first have to determine if it is bad, jumped timing, or bent valves. wish one of you honda gurus was close to baltimore. thanks and will keep you posted

Old 05-02-2012, 01:21 PM
HCF Member

My favorite method right now is to take the steering knuckles and axles out, then set the frame on the ground, unbolt the motor and let it drop to the ground (or on a trolley type thing)
then I just jack the car up a whole bunch, lol. it works.