Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Engine Squeal @ some RPM's

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 08:34 AM
Default Engine Squeal @ some RPM's

I have a 97 HX MT w/130000mi that makes a weird squealing noise @ certain RPM's. Between 2000-3000 and 4500-5500 RPM's I get a high pitch squeal under power or while neutral revving. as I go through these rpm bands it sounds like a long squeal with a high pitch in the middle, kind of like sqeeeeeEEEEEEEAAAAAaaaaal. It's not as loud when revving as when I'm accelerating or decelerating, and it's louder when the engine is warmed up. SOMETIMES, it won't make the noise at all when it's running cold. It has become so pronounced that sometimes I swear that I can feel it through the steering wheel. It's hard to pinpoint the location of the noise, but it does sound like it's coming from passenger side of the engine bay, like it's my distributor or maybe even in the tyranny?

I have a short ram intake, but I don't think it's that as this noise developed over the past 30000mi., not right after install.

I replaced the timing belt 35000mi ago and it didn't make any noise so I don't think that’s it either. My car has no AC, and I've just replaced the Alternator belt and Power steering belt.

ANY ideas as to what this is PLEASE post, I don't care if it sounds stupid, I just want ideas as to what it could be. Thanks to all for your help, in advance.

I guess the ultimate way to figure it out would be to wait until something breaks, but I think it an embarrassment to all Honda if my car ever broke down on the side of the road! (not to mention the head turning cause of the noise)

Old 05-25-2007, 02:53 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Engine Squeal @ some RPM's

replace your belts thats the problem

Old 05-25-2007, 04:19 PM

He said he just replaced his belts. But, i agree it is your belts making the noise. I imagine you just don't have them tight enough. Try tightning them a bit, but just a little until the squeal goes away, or tighten them so that they deflect about a half inch to 3/4 with moderate pressure. An under tightened belt will squeal, but an overtightened belt places unnecessary strain on all the pulleys, causing premature bearing failure. So to play it safe, tighten it til they stop squealing, then just pop by any garage and ask a mechanic to give your belts a push, and he can tell you if they're too tight, or tight enough.

One other thing to consider. The belts can squeal even when tightened properly for two other reasons. Foreign material on the belt (such as spilling antifreeze on the belts will cause them to squeal like a catholic schoolgirl) or a bearing in one of the pulleys is starting to seize, and the belt is starting to slip over it, causing a squeal. If the belt does not feel lose to you when first checking it, remove the belts, and give ALL pulleys (especially the idlers) a spin, and listen/feel for any roughness. They should all spin freely.

good luck

Old 05-26-2007, 05:57 PM

I guess that I left something out... it's a vibrating squeal, and it stayed EXACTLY the same as it was before I changed my belts, so I don't think it's because of my belts.

Any other ideas?

Old 05-26-2007, 09:13 PM

The only other ideas i have would be maybe a bad pulley, but they usually don't squeal like that. Or, i had a friends car with a short air on it, and perhaps it was the brand, or perhaps the way it was rigged, but at certain RPM's you'd get a squeal/whine that was from the air rushing through the intake itself making a whistling noise. Perhaps try putting the stock airbox back on for a test drive?

Old 05-27-2007, 03:12 PM
HCF Member

Just go and tighten your belts and check out the pullies and if that doesnt fix it let us know.