Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

engine turns couple times before firing up?

Old 05-23-2013, 07:50 PM
Default engine turns couple times before firing up?

recently i have noticed ONLY WHEN I START CAR COLD my engine turns couple times before it firesup .. what could be the problem? if i turn off car and start again cold it will be perfectly fine :S

Last edited by azi90; 05-23-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:26 AM

Sounds like it could a fuel issue, as in when you start the engine cold the fuel is not at the injectors yet and therefore unavailable at first for the engine to run until pressure is built up. It could also be an ignition problem. What year and model Civic is it?

I would start with a tune up. Fuel filter, spark plugs, distributor rotor and cap, and if they look worn - spark plug wires. That will likely take care of things.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:54 AM
Recognized HCF Member

This is typical especially when the gas tank is less than 1/4 full. The gas runs back out of the lines into the tank so it takes a while to get to the engine again.

You can turn the key on but don't start to prime the lines. Turn on and wait till the check engine light goes out then turn off. Do this a couple of times, then turn it all the way to start and see if it starts right away. That will see if it is just the gas running back.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:54 AM

I dont start engine right away .. i wait about 5 seconds and than click it .. engine turns few times before it starts .. and if i turn it off and do it again engine will start right away ..
and i did the above method too ... no luck

Spark plugs are brand new couple months old..
its an 04 civic EX .. another thing if that could potentially be causing this is .. my engine oil is about a cm high from top mark on dipstick

Last edited by azi90; 05-24-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:25 AM

As long as the oil level is between the two dots on the dipstick (low and high), you are fine.

Like I said, I would do a tune up. Plugs are a couple months old, but that doesn't make everything else okay. Replace the fuel filter. I don't think you have a distributor in the 04 EX, just coil packs, and if so you can ignore the part about replacing cap/rotor.

I wouldn't be surprised if your fuel filter has never been replaced. It's recommended however around once a year or so. This would be my next move if I were in your situation. It's less than $20 and takes 10 minutes.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
As long as the oil level is between the two dots on the dipstick (low and high), you are fine.

Like I said, I would do a tune up. Plugs are a couple months old, but that doesn't make everything else okay. Replace the fuel filter. I don't think you have a distributor in the 04 EX, just coil packs, and if so you can ignore the part about replacing cap/rotor.

I wouldn't be surprised if your fuel filter has never been replaced. It's recommended however around once a year or so. This would be my next move if I were in your situation. It's less than $20 and takes 10 minutes.
My oil level is not between low and high .. its a cm above than HIGH ..
and ok ill ask my mechanic for fuel filter checkup

Old 05-25-2013, 06:38 AM

It was hard to understand you. A CM high probably isn't too bad. Just to be sure, the problem didnt start right after the oil change did it? If so the engine crank could be sloshing oil in the oil pan at first or something.

For that reason you do not want to overfill too much. But that being said I think a CM probably wouldn't be enough to cause a problem

Old 05-25-2013, 07:26 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Too much oil won't affect starting, but it is bad for other reasons. You should drain away the excess. If you have a shop change your oil, always check it yourself before leaving the place.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
It was hard to understand you. A CM high probably isn't too bad. Just to be sure, the problem didnt start right after the oil change did it? If so the engine crank could be sloshing oil in the oil pan at first or something.

For that reason you do not want to overfill too much. But that being said I think a CM probably wouldn't be enough to cause a problem
sorry about that.. i can be unclear somtimes lol..
but i guess ill look into fuel filter change now