Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

EngineProblem...

Old 01-13-2013, 05:20 AM
Default EngineProblem...

Hey I just got myself a civic 93 Civic EG8 with a D15b2.

The car has to be jump started at the moment as the battery is flat but when it starts its okay for about 10 minutes then when I go to rev the car it just cats out or "pops" then cuts out and wont start again for a while.

I have changed the starter motor as the old ones a bit slow cranking but the problem still persists and I am now clueless on what it could be.
I have checked all the earths in the engine and they all seem to be ok.

Can someone advice me please ?

Thanks

Old 01-13-2013, 06:11 AM
Recognized HCF Member

It takes steady voltage from the battery to work properly. If the battery is completely shot it is not going to keep a steady voltage. Either install a new battery or leave the jumper cables connected to a good battery for testing.

Check for ECU codes. You have an OBD1 model which means the check is done by putting a simple jumper wire in the test plug then turn the key on and count blinks of the CEL.

Also the timing should be checked.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:39 AM

CEL stays solid once jumped =/

Last edited by Dynosur; 01-13-2013 at 06:53 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:39 AM

Sorry for the late Reply had some trouble with my internet connection.

I tried to see if there was anything wrong via the ECU but it wouldnt emit any codes so I guess thats okay.

Checked the timing too and that fine .
Today its freezing outside and my car has no power atall :L lol so im guessing it has to be one of the Earth Connections.
Any ideas if its not those.

Many thanks

Old 01-21-2013, 05:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Measure voltage at the battery, directly on the lead posts that are part of the battery. If less than 12 volts, recharge battery-- if it won't hold a charge, replace battery.

If you have voltage at the battery but the car has no power, it's likely a bad connection at the battery, or the main power and ground wires.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:36 AM

aha spot on, found a 80a Fuse blown under the hood along with a bad connection to the battery cars alive again many thanks mk

Old 01-22-2013, 02:11 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Connecting jumper cables backward by mistake is likely to blow that fuse.

Search this Thread