Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Erratic Speedometer and shifting!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 10:00 AM
HCF Member
Default Erratic Speedometer and shifting!!

I tried seaching but no one ever said what the problem was and if they ever fixed it. I figured someone might be able to help.

I have a 97 dx auto w/140k and speedometer stays at 0mph or if it does read it jumps around like crazy. The check engine light is NOT on. I wouldn't mind if it didn't affect anything else but say im doing 30mph and the speedo is jumping, it will shift gears erraticly. I changed the vss and it still has the same problems. Also the car surges or pulses and ALL the lights on the car are affected from the cluster to the tail lights. A few times it was so bad that the light for the gear indicator on the cluster would blink.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:28 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Have you checked whether fuse 15 under the dash is blown?

Old 11-01-2008, 10:38 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
Have you checked whether fuse 15 under the dash is blown?
just went and checked. It isn't blown but the fuse just about fell out!!! it looks like it melted the fuse holder a little bit...now what???

Old 11-01-2008, 11:07 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by crashedaex
just went and checked. It isn't blown but the fuse just about fell out!!! it looks like it melted the fuse holder a little bit...now what???
Name:  picture_1602.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  18.9 KB

The good news is that you found the problem. The bad news is that there is a short somewhere in the important fuse 15 circuit and that this short may have fried the under-dash fuse box. Based on your description of the fuse box damage, it may need to be replaced. Nonetheless, this may not be the underlying cause for the short. Reading the Service Bulletin at the link below is the first place to start:

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/civic/x99-029e.pdf

By the way, did you have a 7.5A fuse in the fuse 15 slot?

Last edited by RonJ; 11-01-2008 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:20 AM
HCF Member

yes there was a 7.5A

Old 11-02-2008, 06:55 PM
HCF Member

thanks for all the help! i will give updates as i find stuff. I just got a fuse box off ebay...hopefully its a good one.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:48 PM
HCF Member

Well the black/white wire was melted...i removed it but it never melted to any other wire. What would cause it to do this in the first place? It wasn't rubbing on the intake manifold bracket.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:53 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by crashedaex
Well the black/white wire was melted...i removed it but it never melted to any other wire. What would cause it to do this in the first place? It wasn't rubbing on the intake manifold bracket.
Is the problem now fixed?

An area of the black/white wire was somehow damaged and grounded out.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:35 AM
HCF Member

I am currently waiting for the fuse box to arrive. I only replaced the wire from the fuse box to the connector on the strut tower. I checked the from that connector to underneath the intake manifold and it didn't seem damaged so i figured it would be fine. It didn't short to ground or to any other wires so hopefully its fine.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:35 PM
HCF Member

well i got my fuse box today and all the fuses are good no melted fuseholders. I was just wondering if i should put a 5A fuse in instead of a 7.5A. I would rather have the fuse blow than melt stuff.

Quick Reply: Erratic Speedometer and shifting!!