Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

flooded engine ALMOST turning over...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 06:29 PM
Default flooded engine ALMOST turning over...

My car took on two and a half to three feet of water almost a month ago. This has actually happened to my poor little low to the ground '91 honda civic twice before- both times the only permanent damage that ocurred (besides stinkyness) were that the computer broke because of wetness. The first time i had insurance that covered the repairs, the second time i got a computer from a junkyard and replaced it myself, but it still cost about $300. This time i took out the computer,removed the metal sides and dried it by the pilot light of my stove for four weeks minus three days. I just put it back in the car and tried to start it- the battery was completely dead, but with the help of a friend's truck and jumper cables the engine got to sounding like it was trying to start to turn over, but just made an insect like hum that went in cycles but never made it to quite try and start. my specific question is whether anyone can tell me if that sounds like a broken computer problem or something else, like the starter or the ignition coil,maybe? But any insight into flooded car care would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much ! lisa v

Old 05-28-2007, 07:55 PM
SiX
Default RE: flooded engine ALMOST turning over...

Hi lisa was the starter turning the crankshaft or as I take it it looks like it wasnt. I recomend taking the starter out and getting it tested at some auto parts store. autozone etc

Old 05-29-2007, 12:49 PM
Default RE: flooded engine ALMOST turning over...

Thank you for the suggestion! I'll try this, but since I last posted I've tried to start the car again, and it seemed to be coming closer and closer to turning over- the battery was absolutely completely dead- could this interfere with the possiblility of the car even being jump started? Also thought it worth mentioning- the red light on the computer that blinks when its working is indeed blinking- this indicates its not totally shorted out, but perhaps its not doing everything the car needs it to?