Front end noise, straight and turning? - HondaCivicForum.com

Go Back  HondaCivicForum.com > General Automotive > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat
Reload this Page >

Front end noise, straight and turning?

Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Front end noise, straight and turning?

Old 04-11-2011, 04:21 AM
HCF Member
Default Front end noise, straight and turning?

Ok guys, I posted a front end noise i have awhile back and didnt get many repsonses so I will try again.

My 2000 ex coupe with 101,000 miles makes an annoying noise when making left turns. It does it when turning to right but not as bad as left turns. When accelerating or decelerating and driving straight, you can also hear it. The noise seems to get louder the faster I drive.

The noise is a "whu whu whu whu" noise. I originally thought the wheel bearing was bad, but when i jack the wheels up and grab the tire at 12 and 6, there is no play in it.

This car is 100% stock.

Is is possible the bearing is still bad with no play in wheel and can you hear bad bearing when driving straight and coming to stops?
I have inspected the dust shields behind the rotors and they dont seem to be scraping.

Any help is appreciated...

Last edited by Jeremy102579; 04-11-2011 at 04:35 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:06 PM
Default Axles, probably...

I know this thread is old; I hope you found a solution.
Noise like you described that varies when making turns on a 100k mileage Honda is often the CV axles. Either the boot breaks, allowing lubricant out and dirt in, or the ball bearings just wear out. If the noise cannot be isolated to bearings or wheels or brakes, have both CV axles changed.