Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Front Wheel Bearing replacement issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 03:38 PM
Default Front Wheel Bearing replacement issues

Hi All -

I am pretty sure I have a messed up wheel bearing in one of my front tires. We have replaced a wheel bearing in a back tire before, but the front tire's mechanics are different and a bit more daunting. I have a 2000 Honda Civic and from reading the repair manual, I can only assume that I must remove the hub, then have a professional hydraulic press the bearings for me. I know there is a bit more work than that, but I have my dad who understands cars helping me out. All the technical bits are his department!

My main problem right now is that I can't tell what side the bearing is bad on! There is a distinct rotation noise when I turn left, but I don't know if that means the left-front bearing is rubbing harder due to pressure, or if the right-front one's lack of pressure during the turn is causing the noise to increase in volume.

Any help in a diagnosis?
Help a poor, confused girl out!

Thanks,
Amy