Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 06:56 AM
Default Fuel Filter

I was wondering if anyone could help me, I am trying to change the Fuel filter on my 1999 honda civic, the bottom line (intake) is on so tight I am afraid if I continue to force it that it will break, are there any tricks or is that just the way it is, Thanks a lot, Ps new to the forum, I will take the time later to do an intro, later, Thanks for taking the time, Msn

Old 09-13-2008, 07:52 AM
HCF Member

not sure if this will help but I heard that you need to use a special type of wrench, it's called a flare nut wrench and it has more sides hence more support to hold the nut in place while turning it.

Another option is to spray it with PB blaster to losen it up overnight.

hope this helps.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:33 AM
Recognized HCF Member

yes the flare nut wrench is a must for any lines!!!!!!! if you dont use a line wrench then you will definatly strip the head right off!
now the fuel filters line is VERY VERY VERY TIGHT!!!!!! so its gonna take some muscle to break that line loose!!!!!! it took me about 10mins to get that one line off! it was very tight on my 99civic when i changed it! which you reminded me i still need to change my 96fuel filter....

your just gonna have to really man handle that sucker loose!
dont be to afraid to bend the line it will take alot of force!

Old 09-13-2008, 02:34 PM

Mundy5 & A-2-B, Thanks a lot, will pick up a flared line wrench, being this is a preasure system, will taking off the gas cap be enough?? Thanks

A-2-B, I used to do a lot of fishing myself, msn

Old 09-13-2008, 02:45 PM
Recognized HCF Member

LMFAO no wrong bass... this is my addiction 2 bass
Name:  25d3ec22.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  63.4 KB
BUMP BUMP

yes you should have already removed the gas cap and to be best pull the fuel pump fuse and then start the car up and let the motor die on its own. that will drain mos the pressure from the system.... and be sure to have some rags around the thing so fuel doesnt go everywhere! and like always common sense... keep flames far far away from the car when messing with the fuel system

Old 09-13-2008, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by msnden
Mundy5 & A-2-B, Thanks a lot, will pick up a flared line wrench, being this is a preasure system, will taking off the gas cap be enough?? Thanks
no you have to also loosen the tiny bolt (the one bolted into the bigger bolt) on top of the fuel filter. have a rag handy, it will let out a little bit of fuel (not much)

Old 09-14-2008, 03:48 AM

WOW!!!!

Sorry about that!!! I use to do a lot of music also, I still have some pretty good eq. (old but decent).

Thanks to all for the help!!! Den

Trustdestruction, Thanks for the tip!

Old 09-14-2008, 10:47 AM
HCF Member

report back how it all works out for you. i still haven't replaced mine yet.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by mundy5
report back how it all works out for you. i still haven't replaced mine yet.

Will do, but it might be a week or so, I won't have time to get to it until then, I am going to check and see if our other civic has the same filter it is a ("02") I am not going to wait so long on that one (maybe it dosn't make any difference, msn

Old 09-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well if your motor has so much milage on it i would suggest replacing the fuel filter.

book says replace every 30K miles or 2 years i think...

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter