Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel issues - be aware!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 04:27 PM
HCF Member
Angry Fuel issues - be aware!!!!!!!

I just wanted to share something with you guys & gals. I own a 90 Civic LX. I had a new fuel pump installed last summer. In Dec 2010 I started having fuel issues again. So I parked it. A few weeks ago I took it to a shop that has done a lot of good work for me in the past.
I picked it up to day, see this shop is 75 miles from our summer home. When I got it I wanted to know what they found. Because this first pump was installed by a local shop in the place of our summer home is. I have had trouble with stuff they did when they did the pump.
So anyway, I was told by the shop mechanic that did the work this time, who is a former Honda Dealership mechanic was that the pump was an AirTex & he has seen 5 of them fail almost out of the box this year alone on not only Honda's but others. They installed a Delphi Pump. Which we have a Delphi in our Chevy Blazer 4x4 that I had installed 3 years & 90,000 miles ago.
So if you have GOOD Luck with AirTex Pumps your LUCKY. In fact the Honda mechanic drives older Honda's & he said he had 3 fail on him in less than a month a few years ago.
So, this defective AirTex Pump cost me $550.00 in pumps & $275.00 in Labor. JUST LOVE IT.
BEND OVER WHEN YOU BUY AIRTEX. Buy plenty of lube to lessen the pain of getting it up your, you know what.
Thanks for letting me RANT. I'm pissed. Our Gas Tank is never run below 1/2 tank so we didn't burn it up with low fuel.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:22 PM
HCF Member

Hmm...if you buy them from Autozone they have a 1 year warranty on it....They're pretty easy to install if you have the honda manual. BTW..if your pump doesn't work after you install it...check your fuses...for some reason I blew a fuse that works the pump while installing...Kinda odd.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:49 PM
HCF Member
Thumbs up

Thanks for the warning.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:26 PM
HCF Member
Smile

Originally Posted by Mecca8383
Hmm...if you buy them from Autozone they have a 1 year warranty on it....They're pretty easy to install if you have the honda manual. BTW..if your pump doesn't work after you install it...check your fuses...for some reason I blew a fuse that works the pump while installing...Kinda odd.
I personally don't want to reap a job. They warranty the pump, but you get nothing to redo the job.
I prefer to buy a quality pump. In fact the Delphi pump was cheaper than the Airtex. They have come down in price. But when a Honda mechanic says stay away from them & after the problems I had I have no desire to use them again. Even on the Blazer Forums they warn you to stay away from Airtex Pumps & to use Delphi pumps.

Craig

Old 05-21-2011, 05:58 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Mecca8383
.for some reason I blew a fuse that works the pump while installing...Kinda odd.
did you disconnect the battery

Old 05-21-2011, 06:53 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by norcoshore
did you disconnect the battery
First thing I did since I was dealing with gas.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:11 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by 90 Civic
I personally don't want to reap a job. They warranty the pump, but you get nothing to redo the job.
I prefer to buy a quality pump. In fact the Delphi pump was cheaper than the Airtex. They have come down in price. But when a Honda mechanic says stay away from them & after the problems I had I have no desire to use them again. Even on the Blazer Forums they warn you to stay away from Airtex Pumps & to use Delphi pumps.

Craig

Where can I get the Delphi pumps from? Are they also at autozone or another Auto parts store..or do they need to be ordered through the mail?

Just asking because to a buy pump(or any part) depends on what kind of situation you're in. Someone might have little time and have only 1 car, and gather up just enough money to get the cheapest pump at the nearest parts store(autozone).
While another guy might have 2 or 3 vehicles and say.."I'll just wait till my next paycheck to get a nice quality pump(not airtex), in the meanwhile I'll just drive 1 of my other cars."

I know it's alittle off topic but some people are just forced to buy parts that have a bad rep, even if it lasts a few months.
So far my Airtex pump is 7 months old...let's see how long it'll last.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:53 PM
HCF Member

I know NAPA sells Carter & Delphi pumps. A buddy of mine is a parts guy that has been in the business for 45 years. He said don't buy Carter either. He works for NAPA. Who else sells them I don't know.
I'm have never seen them on O'Reilly Or AutoZone on the web. But never asked if they can get them. But I know NAPA sells them. Most likely CarQuest.