Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

fuel pump lead to ignition switch issue?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 07:48 AM
Default fuel pump lead to ignition switch issue?

Hi,

first time here and thought I'd ask the experts. 1997 Civic CX hatchback, stalled while driving, towed it to a shop who replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter and runs great now. Also did a tuneup (or so he says). Charged me $250, I was desperate and didn't know any better, was that too much?

However, two issues arose after this repair. One is that the A/C continues to run after the car is turned off and will drain the battery if the A/C is not turned off (including the vent buttons). Second issue is that the front passenger side headling is no longer working (but the high beams work on both sides).

He is blaming a faulty ignition switch for both these issues. Is this possible? He said he will replace the ignition switch for free, but has not returned my phone messages for the past few days. Doesn't look good.

So, if I take it somewhere else, first is this a reasonable cause for the 2 issues? And what is the estimated $$ charge to repair?

thanks!!

Old 05-30-2009, 09:25 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The dead headlight is likely caused by a blown bulb or fuse #21 under the dash -- pretty easy to fix yourself.

With the key OFF, does the rear window defogger also work when you push the button? If so, the ignition switch is likely bad and needs to be replaced. This is also a job you could do yourself.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by RonJ
The dead headlight is likely caused by a blown bulb or fuse #21 under the dash -- pretty easy to fix yourself.

With the key OFF, does the rear window defogger also work when you push the button? If so, the ignition switch is likely bad and needs to be replaced. This is also a job you could do yourself.
thanks, this advice was perfect. The rear window defogger did work when the car was off when the button was pressed (this should not happen when the car is off).

So, after many calls, the mechanic did replace the ignition switch for free as he promised. I did buy it myself off the web for $37 and since he had to work in the hot day gave him a $20 tip.. took him about 30 minutes. The switch was not exactly a perfect match so he to splice the wires leaving half of the original still in the car (the back half which connects in the undersection above the fuse area).

anyway , this was the ignition switch which I purchased for the 1997 Civic - however it turned out not to be a perfect match . Just in case anyone ever needs one for their 1996-99 civic beware of the perfect fit.

this cost $37