Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

GPS navigation. Can they track me thru GPS??? Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Default GPS navigation. Can they track me thru GPS??? Please help.

My girlfried has an 07 Civic with navigation system head unit from the factory. When you turn on the car, "HONDA" Shes late on monthly payments like usual and afraid they will track the car thru the GPS and repo it.

They wont find it otherwise because she no longer lives in the same address they have. She will make payments again when she gets paid, just dont want her to lose the car to the repo guys before she can make the payments.

The question is: Can they track her thru the OEM GPS unit installed in the car??? and how can I remove the actual gps module and keep the radio working without the gps???

Please help,

Old 11-25-2009, 07:53 PM

To answer your question, I honestly doubt it IMO. But what stops the repo man from riding by her work and taking it from there? If I change addresses, I must notify PENNDOT within 14 days (I'm not sure if that would apply to you though if you are not in PA... if not, check your local regulations).

A repossession person gets paid to find and tow away vehicles, meaning if they have been doing it awhile, they will find it. How behind is she on the payments? Has the bank in which she was loaned money from stop calling about payments and when they will get paid next? That's when they are no longer calling you for the money, they are calling the repo man to get there car back. lol

Old 11-26-2009, 07:23 AM
Default ...

Well, the current address she gets her mail has a huge backyard thats fenced all the way around. So they would probably think its parked in the back all the time and they cant do anything about it.

She works in a hospital and the parkinglot is has so little clearance with the pipes running on the roof that I cant go in there with my diesel truck thats 4x4 factory suspenssion and the entrance is steep and narrow they wouldnt be able to get out. On to top of that they need a pass to get in the parkinglot.

I know lots of people that havent made payments on their cars for 2 years now. They are still driving it and saving money to buy one cash. I know a guy with a farm that got fed up about 3 years and actually called them and told his car dealer that he would start leaving it outside the fence so they could pick it up. and they did the very next day.

There is also a law that after 5 years the car is considered a loss, just like when you owe $ to a credit card company. and u can even apply for the title and they will sell it to you for a big fee.

Not what we intend but its good to know

Old 11-26-2009, 07:42 AM
HCF Member

not to be a d*ck but in all reality it is their car they can take it back untill it is completely paid off. even if it is in a fenced in yard they can get the cops to let them in, and as far as the parking lot goes they deal with that on a daily basis if they want the car that bad they will get it

Old 11-26-2009, 08:17 AM

^^ +1 Like I said, these people get paid to find cars. They are bounty hunters for cars lol. Unless it is put into a storage garage (like the ones you rent out monthly to store your extra ****), they will probably find it eventually. I bet they would be able to gain entrance to the parking garage even if they didn't have a "pass".

How far behind is she on the payments? I have a friend who is about 3 months behind on his RSX type S. He is freaking out thinking they will take the car.

Oh yeah, let's stay off the subject about not paying for your car. Hiding away for what, 5 years, possibly longer? Not to mention you credit would be completely F-ed for the next 7 years (at least). Good luck buying another car (or at least buying one at a low interest rate) next time. Also, do you really think people buying cars, not paying for them and hoping the banks just count it as a loss helps the economy? Doubt it. I am not saying that is/was your intentions, but I am not a fan of anyone who thinks in that way. I'm sooooooo glad I don't have payments on my car any longer.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:15 AM
Sir Banned-a-lot

if i were you, i would just disconnect the battery and keep it inside a locked garage, drop her off at work, you never know, they are crazy at gettin repos, my aunt was late on her car payment and she took it on a trip 3 hours away and they repo'd it at a walmart out there, they DO follow you and look like normal drivers, if you want to keep the car untill you are able to make a payment, i would say just keep it in a locked garage cause they arent allowed in, as far as the gps goes, i doubt they are able to track you like that but for ease of mind, just disconnect the battery terminal.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:25 AM
HCF Member

IMO just give up trying to hide it and tell her to buy something she can afford.
then you will have nothing to worry about... and hopefully wont mess up her credit anymore..
but then again thats my opinion

Old 11-26-2009, 11:47 AM
HCF Member

^ x488758845845

whats the point of having a car you cant afford?

Old 11-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Sir Banned-a-lot

he said he can afford it, they are just late on the payment, times are tough, if they take the car back today and she gets paid tomorrow and can make the payment, she has to add on a fee and stuff, just because the payment is late dosent mean they cant afford it

Old 11-26-2009, 05:24 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well if hes worried about geting tracked.LOL then most likely shes afew payments late and scared of getting repoed...

but with a 2007 they could have some way to track it... i know many car lots put in tracking systems in there cars to track them and some even keep the car from starting up if your to late on your payments.

but hey you need to watch operation repo doesnt matter what a repo guy can do LEGALLY.... lets face it if they can pull it off they will do it... thats there job to take your whip when you cannt make the payments ontime!

hell my brother got his cavi repoed after he left this apartment fenched in lot and went to redlobster to eat.... and when he went outside his car was GONE.LMAO.... at first he thought it was stolen and called my mom and everything... then he REMEMBERED it probably got repoed.... and thats what happened. they couldnt get in the parking lot so they just staked out his place for awhile and followed him when he left home.

and i gotta admit theres times when i would love that job repoing cars.... but for the most part i wouldnt want to do that job! everyone always wanting to fight you or shoot at ya. ive seen several repo trucks around town every now and then and i always seem to see some bullet holes in there trucks!

Quick Reply: GPS navigation. Can they track me thru GPS??? Please help.