Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

gradually increasing electrical problems with my 1989 civic station wagon

Old 02-04-2010, 06:26 AM
Default gradually increasing electrical problems with my 1989 civic station wagon

I'm having electrical problems with my 89' civic station wagon. The first symptoms started after my stereo got ripped out of the dashboard (this happened twice before I gave up on keeping a stereo in the car living in San Francisco). Basically the second stereo I put in would often blow the fuse after extended use and I would replace the fuse for it to blow again (I finally used a higher rated fuse which seemed to help). Then the second stereo got stolen so I no longer have one in the car and the loose cables (harness) that used to connect it are covered in electrical tape.

The stereo is no longer an issue but there are other electrical problems. The right turn signal is now sped up so it blinks around twice as fast as the left turn signal. The windshield wipers lowest setting no longer works (the wipers don't react to it anymore), I have to go to the 2nd fastest setting for them to work consistently. And recently the most concerning issue is my low beam headlights (haven't tested high beam), don't always stay on. Sometimes when I use my car I'll get full, strong power in both headlights but other times the right one will lose power and I'm left with only my left providing light. I also notice when I turn on the headlights (when they do work) it takes a bit longer for the right side to power up to the same level of brightness as the left side.

I'm trying to squeeze as much life out of this car as possible.. Any insight as to what I can do to fix these electrical problems is much appreciated.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:44 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Turn signal blinking fast means that one of the bulbs is out. Wipers could be the switch or the motor. Check the plug on the headlight bulb. There are 4 fuses under the dash for the headlights-- one for each side, high and low beam. The right low one could be loose.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:27 AM

Thanks mk378, I'll try out your suggestions.