Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

haha i had a oopsie

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 06:22 PM
Default haha i had a oopsie

So my v-tec switch is bad, so says code p1295, yea idk how to fix that so i started by takign the solinoid off, and what not, i broke a screw off in the head (dont worry i got it out, it was old i knew it was coming) so then i needed to run to my local hardware store to get new one, while leaving my keys on my seat with the solinoid off, bad idea, turns out one of my friends stopped by and saw my keys, he started her up and oil shot out of that car like a freaking volcano, i was pissed and so was the owner of the drive way it was sitting in, my hole car was emptyed of oil and it was all over my engine bay, one hell of a mess i hoep i never have to clean again, at least i got my oil changed lol one way to do it. so anyway this code p1295 in my repair guide thingy it says its a v-tec problem, any suggestions

Old 10-18-2007, 06:56 PM
Default RE: haha i had a oopsie

wow, that's definately a mess... made for a good story though... I would have been sh**in a brick if one of my friends just stopped by and decided since my keys were in the car that it would be okay to start it up.... and second I really hope he hung around to help clean it up because if not I would have been swinging on somebody...

Hopefully it was shut right back off, and not run without oil...

I know nothing about the vtec though... sry...

Old 10-19-2007, 09:45 AM

Just my opinion, but I think the VTEC is the least of your worries now. If, as you say, your engine was completely emptied of oil by your "friend," then I would consider it toast. You don't know how long it ran without oil and any amount of time without oil does damage. It may very well run when you get the VTEC problem solved, but I think that engine is on borrowed time and will die a premature, if not immediate, death. IIMHO, your friend owes you an engine.

Hope I'm wrong.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:04 PM

could be wiring?

VTEC doesnt really just go 'bad'

or oil pressure.......

knock sensor

check those

Old 10-20-2007, 06:24 AM
HCF Member

first order of business would be to put the old solenoid back on, put in the correct amount of oil, and try starting it, it would be pointless to try to fix vtec at this point if the engine is toast. if it still runs fine, then move on to the vtec. insted of just trying to throw parts at it, get a haynes or chiltons repair manual, and follow the instructions for diagnosing the vtec problem. i really helps, i had a vtec problem, and it just turned out i had a cracked connecter that wouldn't make contact. all you need is a volt/ohm meter and you can narrow it down to one specific thing

Old 10-20-2007, 09:18 PM

well good news cleaned up the mess, and turns out i also fixed fix vtec, my car was used and had to be rebuilt turns out whoever repaired it forgot to put a vtec capable wire harnest in for the ecu, so my vtec was hooked up to well air, i found this out and wired it myself, then i had a little party cause it then fix my shifting problem and what not, so im happy, my car smokes alot though cause of damn oil so thats the only downside. stupid friend still no one confessed...ill find you

Old 10-21-2007, 12:05 AM
HCF Member

Maybe it wasn't a friend... Maybe the guy wanted to steal your car so it's a good thing the solenoid was removed!! haha a new anti-teft system

Old 10-21-2007, 02:05 PM

Glad it all went back together and turned out to be relatively simple Bodei. I gotta say, holy crap, you are one lucky person. You mean you don't know who started it or how long they ran it without oil?!!! I assumed you knew who it was and that was how you knew it was a pretty short time.

Steam cleaning may get all of that oil off of your engine.... even a good power wash down at the local car wash will help. (May want to cover sensitive electrical parts with a plastic bag duct taped on to keep them dry.) Hope none of that smoke is coming out the exhaust. May your good fortune continue.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:04 PM

why what happens if some is coming out of the pipe? it was at first but its not doing it really anymore, i put seafoam in my car so that might be a reason no? idk the car still had a shy amount of oil i i think it didnt do any damage, i dont think it was on long seeing how oil splattered on the windshield so im sure who ever did it turned it off right away and ran with there tails between there legs. It runs fine, and everything just smokes alot, i hope everythign is ok. ill let ya know in a week or two of my engine is dead.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:29 PM

If it's not smoking out the exhaust now, then maybe you're okay. Generally, I think of smoke from the exhaust as indicating that the rings are bad. If it begins to continually smoke then the seal of the rings is probably damaged. Oil is mixing with fuel during combustion... and you don't have full compression. I believe repairing that will require that you pretty well tear down the engine... and you'll discover if here is damage or not to the cylinder walls or to the pistons.

I'm still hopeful for you and your car, but I tend to think it is a short-timer.... not gonna be around long.

Yeah, oil on the windshield would tend to tell the person who turned the key that there was a problem. But every revolution is bad in that situation. What a moron someone was to do that to your car.