Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Halo projector headlights not street legal BS

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 11:36 PM
HCF Member
Default Halo projector headlights not street legal BS

I bought these halo projector headlights about....ummm 4 months ago. I was ready to put them on but was told by a mechanic that the halo part is illegal in the state of New Hampshire, he said he could hook them up w/out the halo wired in,but I run the risk ofgetting pulled over andI wouldn'tpass inspection. I called the state capital DMV to check andthey said, "anything not factory installed on a car is illegal", blah blah blah...

I was pissed for awhile needless to say and was ready to sell them, but now I'm thinking, hey I made it this long without any harrassment (except one time being followed by a cop untill I got to my driveway) with alteezataillights on the back, and a 4" tip magnaflow catback exhaust.Maybe I could just try it and maybe they wont care...u know? And even if I do get pulled over I would only get a warning right? I've got a spotless driving record since my DWI 8 years ago.

Should I try it?

(should of done a poll on this...)

[IMG]local://upfiles/17640/2875830A1C734C7A8257B99962151CD8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/17640/7AF9E4C61BC8484D922509FE9C0BA3AC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-12-2007, 12:21 AM
June 2010 ROTM
Default RE: Halo projector headlights not street legal BS

Don't worry about it. Just keep your stock lights just in case. You'll get pulled over for yor exhaust before you get pulled ver for headlights.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:27 AM
HCF Member

psh. if you dont want em ill take em

Old 03-12-2007, 12:55 AM
HCF Member

yeah, keep stock stuff in case you get a ticket, for some rare reason, you can re-equip them and take your car in for inspection, then once its cleared, go home and swap them out again. F the police.

If they have nothing better to do then ticket you for stuff like that, they can eat a doughnut. Tell them its stock, most of those older guys won't know whats OE on all civic models.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:34 AM
HCF Member

the thing that pisses me off is that bmw's nowcome with halo projector lights factory installed, and thats legit?

Old 03-12-2007, 07:49 AM
HCF Member

Where are you at in NH? Live in Weare, and work in Nashua. I'd say install 'em and keep the stockers just in case. LOTS of them running around.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:31 PM
HCF Member

I'm near manchester. I know where Weare is, I used to live in Francestown and go down to new boston to get pizza and a movie at this place (think it was called new boston pizza) lol.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:59 PM
HCF Member

Tell the shop that you pay them to put in the headlights not for legal advice... if a cop pulls you over for that he has NOTHING to do... Oregon is the same about "not stock not legal" but no one cares.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:49 PM
HCF Member

I must be lucky then. In Florida, they don't do "inspections" and they haven't since the late 1990s. You just pay cash to get your tags and titles and you are set. Now insurance companies, however...

Old 03-12-2007, 07:17 PM
HCF Member

at the most you'll get a fix-it ticket, where you can just put the stockers back in and be good to go. I can kind of understand the halos being illegal (although BMW's hav ethem OEM ), but as far as the headlight itself, you should be good.

Quick Reply: Halo projector headlights not street legal BS