Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

haynes/chilton manuals.... or just help

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 11:20 AM
Default haynes/chilton manuals.... or just help

i need to replace my eg radiator... i'm sure i can figure this out, but what i don't know is how to change an idle air control valve.

i'll be replacing mine on the b18a1....... anyone know where i can down load a manual or some sort of schematics???

Old 06-02-2006, 12:18 PM
Default RE: haynes/chilton manuals.... or just help

i need to know too. im gena be flushing the coolant, replacing the thermostat and sensor. my dad and i want to have a manual to guide us just incase we run into something were unsure about....

Old 06-02-2006, 01:04 PM

^^^ thats what i'm screamin.......

like how much coolant do i put back in... how to change the thermostat...

but my biggest concern is the iacv........ HELP!

Old 06-02-2006, 01:36 PM

If you are a mechanical greenhorn, I would definitely suggest buying either a Chilton's or Hayne's manual. Chilton's are a little more wordy and have a lot of good general technical advice for the beginner. Hayne's does also, but is more concise. Both are geared toward the home DIY mechanic who lacks experience. In your case they would be fine. From years in the auto field I find them to be too verbose and unorganized, but must of all inaccurate. In many cases, they leave out procedures or sections that should be included and add ones that are unnecessary, write the wrong procedures for certain vehicles or try and make too many vehicles apply to one procedure, torque values are notoriously misprinted or left out....and the list goes on. That is why I stick with genuine factory service manuals. The only downside is the cost, but I find ways around that (ebay, local libraries). Don't get me wrong, aftermarket manuals still have their place in mechanics and occasionally I still use them, but they can't help with everything.