Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head gasket rad Fluid Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 02:56 PM
Default RE: Head gasket rad Fluid Issue

I didnt see anything for an 83 there. do you have a more specific link?

Old 05-05-2008, 03:02 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Sorry for my mistake. I forgot that manuals for only 1984 and above are found at the site.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:07 PM

One more question, Since my head has 12 valves do I have the "cvcc" motor? It has the automatic trans, 3 speed I think. Here are some pics if you guys have'nt seen them yet.

Here she is!!

Custom flames just sweetened the deal!!

Tag in the door jam looks brand new, turns out this sucker is 6 months older than me!

The body is very clean. There is minor surface rust here and there but the fenders, rockers, and floor boards are solid as heck!

The trunk is the cleanest part. I cant believe how good this looks. I think the spare, jack, and lug wrench are original....If you've lived in Chicago you know the toll winters can take on a vehicle.

Yep 201,950. Thats about 8,100 miles a year. It's been sitting for a year and it started up after 5-6 cranks.

Interior is decent, it looks like someone got crazy with the pink spray paint on the passenger side....I should be able to clean it up pretty good though. The headliner has a 1" gouge but other than that it is pretty mint! Not pictured is the stylish Dash Rug!!!

Engine bay from the front.

The side.

I drained the oil and have come to the conclusion that the head gasket is definately blown. On the sticker it says capacity is 3.2qts.....This is what I drained from the pan, I did'nt even take off the filter yet. I would guess it is about 8-9qts.

Yea baby, 1.5l, that 1500cc motor cranks out a whopping 79hp at 5,000! But the thing only weighs 15-1900lbs. Today is the first time I ever looked at a Honda forum and I have learned alot about the weight/displacement idea.

Check out my 13's yo!

Old 05-06-2008, 05:00 AM

I am not an expert which is why I set mine at TDC before I started just in case. The unexpected happens. I've worked on my own cars for years but never in a shop. I just get 2 or 3 manual on my car and read each for what to to and then follow the directions. They always leave something out and having two manual fills the holes.

I also have a mechanic friend who tells me how to do things when I get stuck. Like using the starter to break the main pully bolt when it is stuck. Thats break loose, not break. lol.

If you get it back together exactly the way it came apart then I expect everything is okay. Don't turn the crank at all until it gets back togther and then only with belt attached.

They stress this so much cause you can ruin an engine fast if you have the crank and cam out of sequence and try to run it. It will poke holes in your pistons or bend valve shafts. One mechanic even said don't even turn it over cause that can bend valve stems even if it does not start.

There is another thread of mine on replacing the head gasket that has a list of things another good mechanic told me to do. You could look at it too. Like make sure there is no rad fluid in those stretch bolt holes, make sure you get the guide spacers in the head right so it fits exactly, putoil in thetop of the head in the middle before you start it up, put the short bolt in the short hole.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:14 AM

Yes on the cvcc as far as I know. 12 valve yes. There are little pre combustion chambers that get a richer mixture of gas so they fire hotter and set off the rest of the positon gas. They look like little domes with holes in them. You'll see them on the bottom when you take the head off.

Three speed yes. I believe with the two speed you have to shift it yourself.

The head and block surfaces should be flat without scratches of any kind. I used a very fine sand paper on mine wrapped around a flat piece of wood to remove any gasket left.

Dont let dirt get down in the pistol holes or other holes.

Some of what people told me. Follow the tightening sequence.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:39 PM

Thanks for all the good info cachenut. I myself am no mechanic but this is'nt rocket science. I'verebuilt alot of Chevy and Ford motors and I put a new shortblock in my Jeep so I have the knowledge. As I said before this is my first FWD/Honda teardown and it is coming along nicely. I figure it is taking me about 6 hrs to pull the head so it should take about 12 to put back together. I'm in no hurry, just taking my time and doing it right.