Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Head gasket removal w/ out removing timing belt

Old 03-05-2013, 06:27 PM
Cool Head gasket removal w/ out removing timing belt

So what is the consensus on NOT completely removing the timing belt for a head gasket repair on 03 Civic EX?

I have heard about folks removing the cam gears (properly marked), sliding them out from under the timing belt while keeping upward tension on the belt, then securing the belt via bungee to the hood to maintain tension. I haven't seen anything definitive about this on the forum.

The reason I ask, is the last time I had to completely remove the timing belt was a pain in the A$$; especially with the stupid crank pulley removal and the ridiculous lower cover gasket.

Pretty certain my HG is leaking since I have bubbles appearing in the reservoir and I get HOT when not at highway speeds and she consumes about .75 liters of water a day.

Gotta drive back to Tampa from Oklahoma in a few weeks and am on the fence about taking my chances and letting it ride till I get home or biting the bullet and doing it now.

Thoughts?

Last edited by chuzie; 03-05-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:06 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I think that is like the older models where you can pry a plastic plug out of the lower cover and reach the tensioner bolt. Remove the upper cover. Set the engine to TDC1 and check the marks so you know what to look for to put it back into proper time on reassembly. Remove plug and loosen the tensioner, pull slack in the belt (this will take some force, you could also try prying on the tensioner with a wide object to avoid damaging the belt). Once it is slack, retighten tensioner bolt. Now you should be able to slip the belt off of the cam pulley and remove the head (with pulley still attached).

Bungie cords? That is unnecessary as you don't care if the belt slips down and disengages from the cam pulley. All that is important is that the two pulleys end up back in time after you put the belt back on and do the tensioning procedure (which is the same as if you had both covers off). Once tensioned, turn the crank by hand back around to TDC1 and verify the marks.

Also if the engine turns out to be OK with a new head gasket, you should put on a new timing belt to ensure long life.

Last edited by mk378; 03-05-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:22 PM

Thanks for the info MK378. it is always nice to have confirmation before I go in and do something stupid. Yep, I too raised an eyebrow at the bungie cord thing but wasn't sure if there was enough room for it to slide between a pulley face and the cover if loose.

I am on the fence about replacing the belt since it only has 45K on it but do agree it would be much easier to do now though.

Planning to get OEM gaskets. Does anyone know if the Honda head gasket kit (06110-PLD-010) has EVERYTHING I will need gasket wise? Will run a quick search to see if there is a recommended alternative.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:29 PM

Forgot to add, I don't see ARP head bolts for this engine. What recommendations do you all have for replacements? OEM? Decent aftermarket?

Old 03-06-2013, 10:06 AM
HCF Member

or you can just re-use the head bolts..

Old 03-06-2013, 02:54 PM

Got the head gasket kit ordered from Majestic for $178.79 to my door and I think I will attempt to reuse the bolts. Just a little ancy considering about 20% of the threads I have read reference either using new bolts or some sort of experience with them breaking. The service manual does not call for new bolts but required they be oild for torquing so I figure I can't go wrong with the service manual.

Thanks for the input fellas.