Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Find used engine OR change head gasket/timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 07:47 AM
HCF Member
Default Find used engine OR change head gasket/timing belt

Hey everybody,

Haven't been here in a while. I bought a 97 Hx about 2 years ago for commuting (140 miles/day). Still have the commute, but my HX blew the head gasket. She just hit 230k miles, and there had been signs.

I already picked up a '98 HX in pretty damn good condition last week. So, I'm not pressed for time, but I'd like some suggestions on what I should do next.

Ultimately, money is going to be the biggest factor here.

My options:

1) Scrap the old HX and sell it for parts

2) Change the head gasket and sell it

3) Find a used engine and sell it

My son is about a year and a half from driving. I'm also considering keeping it for him. Money is tight right now tho. I'm thinking I need to do whatever is going to bring the biggest return right now.

With this many miles, the car won't be worth a whole lot even running...so, I'm just not sure its worth putting more money into. It has all original parts. It even has stock HX rims with Michelins.

If I do take on the engine work (I'm a novice), would I get more bang for my buck doing just the head gasket /timing belt/water pump on her, or would I be better off finding a low mileage used engine instead ?

Also, who can point me in the direction of a good importer or engine exchange place where I can get a low mileage D16Y5 ?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:07 AM
HCF Member

Hmmm...The BIGGEST bang for your buck IMO would to just change the Head Gasket, Timing Belt & Water pump, but that is if your son really wants the car. If he does I would just do that stuff & maintain the car till he's ready to drive. Those parts don't even cost that much anyway. PLUS look at it this way....If you keep the '97 HX then about 18 months from now you won't have to worry about hearing this.."Can I borrow your 98?" LOL.

You can fix it up & sell it but you'll hear this again.."Can I borrow your 98 again!".

You can keep it the way it is & scrap it BUT it's up to you if money from selling parts or your son driving is more a priority overall to you....Ya know!

Old 08-20-2011, 08:35 AM
HCF Member

Hey mecca,

Was hoping you'd chime in as I see you everywhere when I'm reading other threads.

I cannot say that giving the car to my son is a priority, honestly. I have that "earn it" mentality.

Plus, I had to borrow some money for the newER HX, and would like to pay off that loan ASAP, so whatever I can make off the 97 will certainly help.

I just don't want to put myself into a situation where I'm losing money...ie: spending more on parts than I'm going to be able to sell her for.

I'd like to try to get 1500 out of it if I can, but again...the mileage, and parts may make that hard to do. I'm kinda beating my head against the wall at the moment trying to decide.

The old HX is not without other issues as well. I need to do brakes, and suspension, and CV's, etc. The CEL has been on for the 2 years I've owned her too, because of the O2 or something (0420). Still, I was able to get 43mpg when I was willing to baby the throttle.

You may be 100% correct tho...that would most likely be the cheapest way out to get her running to sell. I need more time in a day.

I can get a gasket set for $120 (aftermarket). Aftermarket WP for between $30-$50 (reman vs new)...belt and tensioner $60...Coolant for $15 or so...

I sure hope the head is straight tho. I wonder if I should try to rebuild myself or take it somewhere. The last time I did a head was in HS on an MGB. I had the head rebuilt, but did the work myself.

Any idea what they charge for a rebuild/resurface these days ?

Thanks again for the reply.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:52 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Doing the work yourself, put in a new head gasket, use old timing belt, etc., for test purposes just fill with plain water on top of whatever antifreeze is left over, hope it starts up, and test drive. If it turns out the engine is OK, go back and buy the other parts to finish up the job properly.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:06 AM
HCF Member

Hey MK,

I like it ! Dang, thats a good idea ! At least that will keep me from spending a whole lot before I know for sure she'll run again.

One thing that worries me is that I found oil in the coolant reservoir that fateful day when she died on me. And when I say oil was in there, i mean it was black.

I wonder if any coolant could've gotten into the oil as well.

So, I think I may try that before getting into anything deeper.

Is there anything special that I need to do in order to get the oil out of the system if I get to that stage ? Just pick up a coolant flush I assume ? If I do sell it after changing out the gasket, I certainly don't want to leave any residual oil in there that will discolor the new coolant.

Thanks

Old 08-20-2011, 09:18 AM
HCF Member

BTW, I've tried using the search tool, but keep getting back all sorts of non related info...

Is there a really good explanation on here or elsewhere online (that maybe even has pics) and explains the process of changing the head gasket in great detail ?

Thanks,

Old 08-20-2011, 01:56 PM
HCF Member

I hate to get this link from another civic forum Buuuut...it's for maintenance purposes.

DIY: D series head gasket replacement + ARP head bolt install - ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum

Don't forget to replace the Head bolts BTW if you're gonna do it. Think there's 10 of them. Alittle over $40 altogether if you get them from any Honda parts place Online.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:43 PM
HCF Member

Hey Mecca,

Can you confirm that link ? I saw a couple pics, but no real detail on the full procedure.

Thanks

Old 08-20-2011, 05:48 PM
HCF Member

Oops...sorry..I didn't even bother to scroll down the rest of the page at that link, I just see pics & think it's good( I Like Pictures!).

But here you go...and a whole alotta pictures too..very detailed: Civic EG :: View topic - DIY: How to change a Head Gasket

Old 08-20-2011, 06:09 PM
HCF Member

Mecca, we have a lot in common ! I dig me some pics.

You weren't kidding ! That writeup rocks.

Thank you sir !