Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Head Gasket Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 07:53 AM
Default Oil Orifice and Bolt Seals

Alright...So I finally got the Cylinder head off, tested and rebuilt. No cracks, but the exhaust valves were not sealing. The shop cleaned everything up and gave it back. When I was examining the rocker arm assembly I noticed it appears two sleeves are missing. I seem to remember them not being there when I removed the assembly before. I’d like to replace them, but I do not know their technical name and I doubt AutoZone Will.

What are these things called?

Also, the shop said it looks like the oil control orifice had an o-ring sitting on top of it however, the exploded diagram in the manual I’m using only shows an o-ring on the bottom.

Do you guys know if there should be a ring between the orifice and the rocker arm assembly?

The manual also says to remove the oil control orifice, clean it, and replace the o-ring on the underside.

Is there a good way to remove it without damaging it? It does not appear to have any surface I can grab with a pliers.

Attached Thumbnails Head Gasket Replacement-2012-11-17-10.05.17.jpg   Head Gasket Replacement-2012-11-17-10.05.32.jpg  
Old 11-17-2012, 08:54 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You're over-thinking this. There aren't supposed to be sleeves in those two holes. Don't mess with the orifice, it looks perfect.

Be sure to put some oil on the cam bearings as you assemble so it isn't dry when you go to start up. If you haven't changed the oil since it overheated, change it because the oil you have is likely burnt.

Last edited by mk378; 11-17-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:25 AM

Alrightie...so far so good. Got it almost totally buttoned up, but how tight should the timing belt be?

How do you know when it's at it's correct tightness?

Old 11-22-2012, 09:59 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by CarNoobie
Alrightie...so far so good. Got it almost totally buttoned up, but how tight should the timing belt be?

How do you know when it's at it's correct tightness?
The belt tensioner is spring loaded and should adjust to make sure the timing belt stays tight.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:59 AM
Default All Done!

Alrightie...got it all buttoned up. Runs fine, but it would appear there is some vapor coming off the head now. It doesn't smell like exhaust or really anything in particular. I think it's possibly just the oil from the head being machined that is burning off. It does appear to be coming from the exhaust side.

Also, I torqued down the exhaust manifold to manufacturer specs, so i don't think it's a leak there; albeit, a single bolt on the out edge was problematic so I only toqued it to half the specs. That said, the smoke is everywhere. Thoughts?