Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Head Gasket woes/ Already replaced but still have antifreeze coming out of exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 08:21 AM
Default Head Gasket woes/ Already replaced but still have antifreeze coming out of exhaust.

Hello everyone, I'm new to this site, I have just started into the honda relm, as I have in the past owned only american muscle cars. I just purchased a honda that had antifreeze coming out the exhaust. I replaced the head gasket, as it was tore all to pieces. I reassembled the engine, and started it and it is still blowing antifreeze out the back, however after driving a few miles, there is no antifreeze in the oil, or oil in the antifreeze. My car is a 1993 Honda Civic DX, with a 147K, Auto. When I first got it it had oil on top of the sparkplugs and when I pulled the head off there was antifreeze about an inch deep above two of the pistons where the headgasket was broke. I checked the heads for cracks, but didn't see any, nor signs of warping. I put a fel-pro gasket back on. The person I bought the car from said that there was an anitfreeze leak, and i found it below the intake manifold behind the engine, but it appears to be from a hose. Is there any other way antifreeze can be coming out the exhaust, but not getting in the engine oil or having no oil in the cooling system? Vehicle is smoking white like crazy. Any advice would be appreciated. Carlos

Old 01-07-2008, 09:46 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Head Gasket woes/ Already replaced but still have antifreeze coming out of exhaust.

bet either the head or block is warped or both. when you take the head off have it milled flat. and take a straight edge to the block so see if its in spec.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: Head Gasket woes/ Already replaced but still have antifreeze coming out of exhaust.

Did you put in new headbolts? If not, do so.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:58 PM
Default Removed the head!

Thank you for the advice. I just removed the head again. It only took me an hour this time, so at least it didn't take all day, I guess I'm getting better! When I pulled the head off the far left cylinder was full of antifreeze, the first time I pulled the head off when the headgasket was bad, it was the center two cylinders that was full of antifreeze, the two center two cylinder rings on the headgasket were ripped and distorted, so now the antifreeze in entering a different cylinder. I am going to have the head milled tommorrow, I guess I should have done it in the first place, and I'll buynew cylinder head bolts. This was my first time, I did'nt realize there was the additional prep work involved. Thanks everyone, more input would be appreciated.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:45 PM

I have a '93 DX that I bought with a bad head gasket. It cost $53 to magnaflux and surface the head...it was pretty warped. Another $30+ for a head gasket kit off ebay, an oil change, and it was ready to go. I checked the head bolts and they were all still the same length so I reused them.

Even after you put it back together you might get a little bit of smoke since you'll have antifreeze in the cat, muffler, and rest of the exhaust system.

Derek

Old 01-07-2008, 07:49 PM
HCF Member

Get ARP headstuds....theyre the best. I would use a HONDA headgasket.....parts like that are best if theyre OEM. I would also do a water pump and timing belt while youre in there.......its supposed to be done @ 70,000 miles....so get it outta the way. Again, use an OEM timing belt and water pump.....