Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heater/ AC not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 05:45 AM
HCF Member
Default heater/ AC not working

my heater and acdont work on my 96 civic ex 4dr. i turn the thing to 1,2,3,and 4 and it doesnt even turn on at all...what do you guys think it is? i have no idea...it just stopped working all of a sudden

Old 04-11-2009, 06:02 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Find the fan motor under the right end of the dash. It has a 2-wire plug on the bottom. Leave the plug plugged in and measure the voltage between the two wires with the key on II (normal running position, it is not necessary to actually start the engine) and the switch on 4.

If you have 12 volts, yet the fan is not running, the motor is bad.

If it is zero volts, measure from each wire to ground. If both are zero, check the fuse and relay under the hood. If both are 12 volts, it's the fan switch or the resistor. I think when the resistor is bad though 4 will still work but the slower speeds won't.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:32 AM
Recognized HCF Member

dito exactly what id recomend! if you have power at the blower simply kick the motor a few times and if it comes on that just means its definatly going out shortly.LOL i had to kick my motor in my 94 civic for about a week until i had the cash to replace it. luckely on pay day then it went out and kicking it didnt make it come back on since it completly fried then. LOL

replacing the blower is very easy!!!!
either aftermarket blower and cut the wire harness or buy a oem replacement and just unplug and plug the new wires in.

and if you want oem parts i got some for ya i got the resistor pack and blower from my 96civic i have for sale... but thats only if you need them