Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Help! 200$ 92 Si Hatch, no fuel pump, main relay goes bizzerk!

Old 12-13-2011, 07:53 AM
HCF Member
Default Help! 200$ 92 Si Hatch, no fuel pump, main relay goes bizzerk!

i just bought this 92 civic si hatch ( i think, rear calipers? ) an im havuing a terrible time with the fuel pump, ive read all the forums on google about it, ( this goes out to you RonJ ) an just 20 minutes ago i switched out the main relay in the car, after i fixed the first problem, (no pump, CEL that couldnt be decoded, everything glitchy, turned out ECU..) now all is good, the first 2 clicks come out of it an then it starts power clickiing an makin weird humming noises an it wont stop! the dash an all the lights goes dim an th CEl is on while this is taking place.. checked grounds an cleaned, an its similar to what happens when you have a bad ground dash wise... what is happening, could it simply be the fuel pump? that would be easy, i have spares... the car has been sitting for 3 years..

Old 12-13-2011, 10:29 AM
HCF Member

starter stops working now when everything goes crazy

Old 12-13-2011, 10:29 AM
HCF Member

smoke off the battery terminals, snaps like its shorting out?

Old 12-13-2011, 10:48 AM
HCF Member

If you are seeing smoke, you have a bad short somewhere. Stop what ever you are doing and find the short before you destroy the ECU and other electronics.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:53 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Bad connection at the battery terminals or / and dead battery. All the relays will go bezerk when the system voltage drops.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:43 PM
HCF Member

had the battery in an out like 20 times, an i take it out of my car.. bad short sounds right.. i crossed over the fiel pump at the main relay an it didnt come on, tested the map sensor voltage between there an the ecm ground on the t-stat an read 4.95 volts

Old 12-13-2011, 05:58 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Check that the engine isn't seized, that will of course make the starter draw a heavy current while it does not rotate. 4.95 volts on the sensors is proper, it's nominally 5 volts. Smoking at the terminals really means there's a bad connection. Make sure they are clean, also loosen the terminal nut fully and push the terminal all the way down on the battery before tightening the nut. You should have some of the battery post showing above the top edge of the terminal.

Get it so the engine will at least crank properly when you turn the key-- and if it still won't start, then start checking further about the fuel pump. Take the back seat bottom cushion out and check for voltage on the fuel pump wire (green and yellow) and that the black wire provides a good fuel pump ground. If you have that yet the pump doesn't run, it's probably bad, or gummed up with stale gas. Note that on 92's you can remove the fuel pump through the access panel under the seat without dropping the tank. After 3 years you should drain all the stale gas out of the tank (it has a drain plug) and put about 3 gallons of fresh gas in. The Civic engine is real reluctant to start on stale gas.

Last edited by mk378; 12-13-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:06 PM
HCF Member

i had it rolling over at first, it ahs very rotten gas in it but im not worried about it until stuff works.. whats the other relay i hear of? its like behind the cluster an it clicks constantly after it shorts out??

Old 12-13-2011, 06:14 PM
Recognized HCF Member

If the car is not getting full voltage from the battery, all kinds of relays will chatter and buzz. It really doesn't matter which one. Get your voltmeter and find out where the voltage is being lost.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:05 AM
HCF Member

trying, having no luck so far, everythings reasind up good... im only trying one thing at a time an then put the battery back in my car to charge it up.. ive been tinkering for 2 days now an nothing but worse, seems like the ECU's wrecked again... my good P28.. maybe thats why the car came with a P06, think i should just pull the motor an change out all the harness between the motor an the computer? ( dash wire problem park it out back.. ) im no good at hunting for shorts... i dont even what i would put the mter on.. oh yeah the back up fuse was blown, never blown again so far

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help! 200$ 92 Si Hatch, no fuel pump, main relay goes bizzerk!