Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

help bleeding coolant system 95 civic ex

Old 07-22-2012, 03:44 PM
Default help bleeding coolant system 95 civic ex

Okay so I replaced the 02 sensor and the radiator and the thermostat and the CEL is finally GONE!! (YAY!!)

In order to get the sludge out of the coolant system, I am trying to flush it before filling with the new stuff so I don't just ruin the new radiator but I can't seem to get the bubble out of the system and from what I can tell, there just isn't any water going through the lower radiator hose to the thermostat - all other hoses are hot but that one and there seems to reference to a bleed screw somewhere which I cannot identify on the car - anybody got pics or a diagram where i might find it or an alternate method of getting the air out?

heat comes on, but I've not seen the radiator fan move yet - should I run it with the heater on or off until the fan kicks in first?

Any help would be appreciated as I really don't know what I am doing and can't afford to take it to the shop. So far, I do okay following guides and instructions from the helpful folks like you all!

Old 07-23-2012, 04:49 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You need to idle for a long time before the radiator gets hot.

The bleed bolt is in the fitting where the top radiator hose attaches to the engine. It looks and works like a big version of the bleed bolt on a brake caliper. If your engine has been swapped to a later model you may not have one. In that case, run the engine with the radiator cap off to bleed it.