Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Help with Distributor electrical connector

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 01:24 PM
Default Help with Distributor electrical connector

This ought to be good. I'm clearly in over my head. How the heck do you get the electrical connector for the distributor apart. 1997 coupe.

The background, so you can tell me I'm out of my mind. Car was running fine. Went to start it the next day it cranked but wouldn't fire. When I finally got around to TRYING to diagnose (after doing reading on here and elsewhere), I hear the fuel pump priming. Decided to try to check for spark thought I saw one little spark and then nothing. Figured it might be the ICM. Thought after looking that it might be easier and make sense to just replace the distributor for a bit over $200 than pay almost $100 for the ICM. Got the part. Started taking the thing out. Didn't mark anything. Got it out, but can't get the damn plug apart.

Is there one or two pins that have to be pushed? Push in? Pull out? I started mangling the think, lost daylight, and here I am. Can anybody help? I would love to learn. Thanks, Mike

Old 11-17-2012, 05:39 PM
Recognized HCF Member

No start with no spark can also be a stripped timing belt. Make sure the camshaft rotates when you crank before replacing distributor.

The connectors will not disconnect while they are on the metal clip/bracket that holds it to the distributor. So take it off the metal bracket first. Then pull the other locking tab and disconnect.

This is true of almost all of the connections under the hood, if you need to take anything else apart.

Last edited by mk378; 11-17-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:38 PM

so I looked in the crank case and can see movement when I turn the engine over, so I'm hoping that means the timing belt is ok.

Do I push in that little tab, or pry it up to separate from the metal? I tried both ways, and sprayed with WD40 and still haven't gotten any movement. Want to make sure I'm doing the right thing with the tab so I can try to get it apart without breaking it...or myself. Thanks. Mike