Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

HELP-engine/electrical suddenly turns off!?!

Old 04-05-2010, 10:08 PM
Question HELP-engine/electrical suddenly turns off!?!

I did a search online and on this site (an others) with various results (I'm gonna leave my "opinion" of what could be causing this to keep the thread open to new ideas/thoughts).
My veh: 2002 honda civic 2-door manual (not vtec).
Problem:
I'll be driving and my stereo/ GPS (plugged into the socket) will suddenly shut off and restart. This has happened both driving in town (20mph) and on the freeway (70mph)-sometimes this is accompanied with a "clicking noise" from behind the dash. Now its worse as I'll be driving and the same thing happens with my stereo/GPS but now the engine will shut off as well. This happens randomly, sometimes shortly after just starting to drive or sometimes 30+ minutes into my drive. When this happens the odometer and tachometer both go down to zero (no reading) and most of my dash lights come on (such as the "SRS" light, etc) along with my stereo/GPS. I keep it in gear and it will sometimes start back up, while other times I have to put it in neutral and turn the key again.
*It might just be a coincidence, but the problem stops if I turn off my CD player/ GPS...

What could be causing this???
--thanks a ton in advance!!!!

Old 04-06-2010, 06:07 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Any CEL codes?

My guess is a problem with the ignition switch.

Name:  picture_4629.jpg
Views: 3269
Size:  64.0 KB

Old 04-06-2010, 08:25 PM

I've used the code reader and no codes came up. Does this mean that it is NOT the ignition switch??
I was thinking it was the ignition switch as well based on some things i've read, but it has never had a problem starting up....
I was also thinking it could be the main relay? any thoughts?
Thanks again in advance!

Old 04-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Recognized HCF Member

A bad ignition switch would not throw a CEL. It's pretty easy to test the switch. See diagram.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:44 PM

I finally had some free time to try the 5P connector as you stated RonJ, thanks again for the advice!!!!
Here are the results:

position # 1 (acc)
wht/red and wht: good

Position # 2(on)
wht/red and wht: good
wht/red and blk/yel: no
wht/red and blk/red: good
wht and blk/ yel: no
wht and blk/red: good
blk/yel and blk/red: no

Position #3 (start)
wht and blk/yel no
wht and blk/wht no, but good on position # 2(on)
blk/yel and blk/wht yes

So Is my civic due for a new ignition switch?

Obviously I am not as mechanically inclined as many on this board (ex: RonJ), however does this mean my ignition switch is the problem since the results did not match the diagram listed above? I ONLY ASK THIS BECAUSE I CAN START AND DRIVE MY VEHICLE AND IT DOES NOT STALL/SHUTDOWN ON ME MOST OF THE TIME, it only does it every so often and then it suddenly turns back on right away (most of the time). It would seem to me (however i have NO mechanical experience) that if the power from the ignition switch is all jacked up then the engine shouldn't be able to run at all times?!????

Old 04-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The ignition switch is clearly bad. Replace and then go from there. To answer you question, the switch problems may be a intermittent.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:07 PM

opps, im a moron! when looking at the above diagram i did not notice the viewpoint of the 5p connector was from behind!!! I rechecked everything and all terminals come back in working order as the diagram says they should.... any thoughts? thanks ronj and sorry for the confusion...

Old 04-19-2010, 02:24 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by cr250bronco
opps, im a moron! when looking at the above diagram i did not notice the viewpoint of the 5p connector was from behind!!! I rechecked everything and all terminals come back in working order as the diagram says they should.... any thoughts? thanks ronj and sorry for the confusion...
No problem. You might want to repeat the tests multiple times given that the problem is intermittent.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:25 PM

I also just took it on a longer trip and on two occasions when I turned my headlights on it happened, as well as when I jiggled the key in the ignition (while driving), however I have jiggled the key in the ignition many times before and after that incident and have not been able to make the car shut down again.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:35 PM
Chubby Chaser

make sure all you battery connections are good and clean. and also grounds, ive had this problem on my jeep due to bad connections, when i turn something on it would put a sudden load on the alt, and cause the jeep to shut off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP-engine/electrical suddenly turns off!?!