Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Help! My engine is making scary noises...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Default Help! My engine is making scary noises...

So i drive a 98 ex coupe with a stock d16y8 (only with an aftermarket air intake) with 85,600 miles. I do drive the car fairly quickly most of the time, but rarely redline it or abuse it. Also, it only has 85k on it. I dont think any civics should be making these noises with so few miles...

Here's the scoop. The other day, I was driving, and hit a bump. Not huge, car didnt bottom out or anything, but just a little bump while i was accelerating up a hill. As soon as i hit the bump, it sounded like I had an exhaust leak. The muffler almost sounded like it had a hole in it or something along those lines. I didnt worry about it.

But today, I was driving home from a mariners game (beat the rays 9-6!!) and my car was making the most god awful noises ever. No CEL, no nothing. Only the wretched sound.

Here are the links to the videos, one from the interior, and one looking under the hood.

My cousin has a 96 sedan that makes the same noise, but hers is a total POS, and I just want to make sure nothing serious is going on under my hood. Any help is greatly appreciated!

YouTube - ‪What's wrong with my civic?‬‏

YouTube - ‪What's wrong with my civic pt 2‬‏

It sounds like the rattle is coming from right under the firewall....
When the car was purchased, it had an aftermarket exhaust. If im not mistaken, the aftermarket piping was left on the car with a stock muffler put on. other than that, the engine has never been tinkered with.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:50 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Have you looked underneath for something hanging off the car and dragging on the road? That "exhaust leak" sounds almost like the pipe is completely gone.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:27 AM
HCF Member

Heard some knocking noise on the 2nd vid