Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

help with my a/f gauge install

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 09:46 PM
Default help with my a/f gauge install

White Civic 98 EX
D15B engine. Everything else is from the Y8.

I've been searching throughout the entire internet and this forum but i still havent found my answer. I, like others before me, purchased a FAZE A/F Gauge. I know that everyone here is affectionate with a wideband but since this was cheap ($30) i went ahead and bought it. When it comes to electrical stuff with cars, I'm as dumb as a door **** but i think i wired up everything correctly. There were three wires: RED, GREEN, and BLACK. BLACK is ground. GREEN is for the O2. RED is for a 12 volt power source that activates whenever the ignition switch lands on accesories. I've wired up the power supply for the gauge correctly cuz the gauge lights up nice and shiny! I wired up the GREEN wire to the WHITE O2 wire at the ECU (pain in the neck since everything is still taped together down there). My one frustration is I cant figure out where to tap for the power to the red wire! I'm guessing thatsthe reason mygauge wont show a reading. I used "self stripping electrical tap connectors" to do all the wiring (the red ones that came with the gauge sucked and wouldnt slice the insulation of the O2 wire to get to the wiring underneath; i bought a pack for $1 at Advanced Auto Parts). Anybody have any clue as to why I'm not getting a reading?

Tomorrow I'm gonna try passing the GREEN wire thru the firewall to where the O2 sensor is at the header and see if there's a difference.

I traced the wires and made sure that the connectors were touching the bare wire and that they had cut thru the insulation of the wires. I double checked the grounding. I started this at 5pm but have been troubleshooting since 7 pm. The only thing I'm assuming is causing the problem is that I cant find a suitable place for the RED wire to tap into.

Ideas? Help? Advice (other than suggesting to geta wideband lol)?

PS: lol to help ya'll understand how ignorant i am about messing with the electrical stuff of a car (other than radio and that sorta thing), i, incidentally, wired up the Dual VTEC solenoid (econoside/pinkish wire)that came with the D15B to the power side of the switch i use to turn on the neons inside the car. lol everytime i turn on the neons, my engine switchs over to E-VTEC .

Old 06-02-2007, 09:53 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: help with my a/f gauge install

E-VTEC on command? lol

anyway, just make sure the green wire is connected to the proper wire. It must have positive 12V and be grounded correctly since it's powering up on start up, correct? That only leaves the Green signal wire, i would check that. This is a wire guide for wiring an o2 simulator, but it will tell you which wire you need to tap into: http://www.o2simulator.com/download/Honda.pdf

it looks to be the white/red wire, and you're tapping into the secondary sensor, not the primary one right?

Old 06-02-2007, 10:29 PM

If you want a sure fire Positive connection, use one of the screw terminals for one of the gauges on the back of the gauge cluster.

Also a quick way to tell if the gauge is working right is to touch the green wire to positive, this should send the display all the way to "Rich" and then to a ground ant this will send it to "lean". I might be backwards on the dirrection but it will move the led's and that'll tell you if the gauge is wired up and getting power properly.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:45 AM

alright thanks for the advice. which wires can i use for the 12 volt positive? again i wouldnt know which wires or what source to get a ground 12 volt power from. If i can learn from this experience i'll be able to wire up my econo vtec properly lol.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:51 PM

Name:  EGCluster.gif
Views: 1293
Size:  15.4 KB
Name:  EKintoEG.gif
Views: 1406
Size:  50.0 KB
You can tap the positive power on the A3 yellow wire, B10 black/yellow wire or B11 red/black wire and ground on A5 black wire. This would only give you power when the car was turned to the "on" position but it's a guarenteed connection.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:05 PM

FYI, it's going to do you absolutely no good.

The stock honda is a narrowband, 0-1 V signal. The gauge you have there is going to look for a 0-5V signal, which comes from a wideband O2 sensor.

Basically what I'm saying is it's just going to flash and go rich to lean however it feels like. There will be no accuracy to it what so ever, and quite frankly it will be rather annoying. Just sell it, and buy a real wideband.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:08 PM

i thought the gauge i had was a narrowband. oh well.. anywho i got it to work. I bought a wire tester and found a good place to tap for power (power mirrors lol) but as it turned out it was none of those things. I traced the ground wires and pulled apart the tap connectors and found that the metal connector hadnt pierced the wire insulation properly so there was no good ground [&:].

About getting a wideband, lol Sov i was actually expecting you to say that lol! I saw that answer from you in other posts lol. Alot of my friends have told me to drop the narrowband for a wideband. I really only got it to make sure my car wasnt leaning out or going too rich cuz i've been getting 15 mpg and its really annoying! I WOULD get a wideband IF my goals in the future were to hook up this car. BUT its an auto and too much hassle for me to plan any kind of modification other than electrical stuff. Any gauges, Iacquireat this point, are going tobe used to help me diagnose problems that may come up in the future.