Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

RPM gauge and temp gauge don't work, help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 01:40 PM
HCF Member
Default RPM gauge and temp gauge don't work, help!

Hi guys, i been posting a bit around here about my del sol, trying to figure out exactly what i'll be doing once it's fixed up. But i need to fix a few things that are necessary before i go about swapping and turbo and paint first.

It's kind of weird, or maybe a loose wire, but my RPM gauge only shows when i rev up to 2000... obviously i go past that, but it's like there's an invisible wall blocking the needle from going past 2000 rpm. I was wondering what you guys thought it was, and maybe have a DIY or diagram showing me how to check it out / diagnose / fix it??

Also, another thing, my temp gauge doesn't work, maybe this is just a bad thermostat? But i was thinking if the rpm gauge was a loose wire, since they both in cluster, it might be loose or out also?

And, should i bother fixing these things if it'll be costly, if i will be swapping to a b16 soon? rather not buy anything i WON'T be using once i swap using:
http://hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000...age&item=30005

Thanks guys, let me know what you think, and i appreciate it.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:56 PM
HCF Member

Anyone here have any idea?

I recently sold my '05, so this is now my daily driver and my top priority, i'd like to take a day to fix these two things as well as some other small things.

Please help.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:06 PM
Recognized HCF Member

On the temperature gauge, unplug the sender on the head (the one with one wire) and connect the wire to ground. Now when you turn the key on the gauge should go all the way up to hot. Does the engine actually warm up? Someone may have removed the thermostat.

The tach is probably the unit in the cluster if it always reads steady above 2000 but not below. The steady reading at some rpm suggests that the signal is getting to it OK.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:12 PM
HCF Member

Well, i will try the temp thing tomorrow, but as for the tach:

While it's idling, it is about under 1k rpm like a normal idle, but when i rev up, it seems like it "peaks" at 2k rpm, and does not go beyond 2k. So, it look like it works to some extent but it does not go passed 2k.

Could this have anything to do w/ the ECU? (I swapped auto to manual w/o changing ECU, i know this causes the engine light to come on since the engine is telling the tran to shift and it can't etc, that what the code reads off my buddies computer.) Not sure if this would effect the tach at all.

I did not both changing the ECU since i want to swap to b16 later. (or stay d15 and build up - still no decided)

Old 09-07-2009, 02:13 PM
HCF Member

Oh, and for the temp gauge info, just try connecting to ground right?

The engine does warm up, yeah... just thinking possibly loose wires, or bad thermostat.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:17 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You're saying the engine does not rev past 2000? If the engine is going above 2000 but the tach stops there, the needle could be dragging and sticking on the dial face.

If it's just the transmission codes you should be able to clear all the codes and rev up the engine normally in neutral. I don't think the code will get set again until you drive it and the ECU realizes it's the wrong transmission.

Right, sender wire grounded guage should read hot, sender wire open gauge should read cold. The resistance of the sender starts at several kilo ohms cold and reduces to about 100 ohms with the engine at normal operating temperature.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:27 PM
HCF Member

The engine does, the tach does not. So yeah... i'll check to see if the needle is dragging(... why didn't i think of that) and yeah i could clear the codes to see if that's the issue.

Thanks man as you can see i ressurected this post from early august since i didn't get a response.