Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Please help me!!!! headlights AND A/C don't work...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 06:16 PM
Default Please help me!!!! headlights AND A/C don't work...

So the other day I was reaching down to adjust my left headlight on my 1994 civic ex, and I bumped the headlight plug. The light went out. I was like okay, no biggie and I went to buy another bulb. Well, it turned out that wasn't the case. Upon further investigation, I figured out that I wasn't getting power to the plug, I wasn't even getting power through the wires behind the plug (the ones that run back through the firewall, not just the ones that hook to the headlight) So at this point, I was confused. I checked the fuses under the kickpanel and they're all good.

What am I missing here? Also, I was driving my car today and realized that the A/C didn't work. It was working the same day that I messed up the headlight though, so is this just an odd coincidence or is there some kind of connection between the headlight and the A/C?

Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Old 05-22-2006, 12:47 AM
Default RE: Please help me!!!! headlights AND A/C don't work...

I also have a 94 Civic EX. This has happened to me before, but not while messing with the headlamps. My A/C just spontaneously stopped working while I was driving and I pulled over to check the fuses and sure enough, one was blown. Maybe you should recheck the fuses? I have missed them before, not saying you did, but it's worth a try. Also, today, while looking for the ECU, I happened to stick my head far enough under the steering wheel to get a good look at what was under there, and I'm not surprised I can't find anything. Hard to tell what's what! Since you have the same car, do you know how to check the Check engine light using the trick to make it blink the codes?

Old 05-22-2006, 05:48 PM

alrighty I'll try it again! And for the ECU, I'm pretty sure that the wires are located under the dash on the passenger side. You might have to pull the carpet back a little to reveal the ECU, but the wires shouldn't be that close to it. Mine I can reach right under the glove box and they're right there. If you look, I believe that the wires have a green plug on the end of them and they won't be attached to anything. I think you just have to turn the key on two clicks to get the ECU to boot up, then use something to bridge the two pins on it and the ecu should blink out the code. It's been awhile, but I'm pretty sure this is how to do it.

Old 05-22-2006, 07:53 PM
HCF Member

The relay for the A/C compressor is by the left head light and if you some how disconnected the relay then the compressor would not get power and your A/C would not work. Turn the A/C on and check to see if your A/C compressor is turning.

Old 05-23-2006, 12:13 AM

K so it's fixed now, but now I have another question. I have Sonar Angel Eye headlights and I need to adjust the beam on the left lowbeam light. The adjustment screws are on the bottom of the lamp, so do I turn them to the left or to the right to get the beam to move up? I don't want to ruin anything... So anyway, basically I was dumb and actually missed the right fuse not one, not two, but THREE times! and well I guess the A/C just needed a freon charge, I just thought it odd that it would stop working so suddenly. Well I'm just really glad that my car is all in working order now! Except I need to get that light adjusted. I hate taking that freakin thing out of there though, so I'm going to take the bumper off and send it to be painted and in the mean time, get those headlights all tuned up and sealed for any future leaking since aftermarket lights tend to do that. Oh, and do you have any suggestions on where to put the silicone when sealing the lights? thanks!