Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

HELP!!! MY WIPERS WONT TURN OFF!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 06:05 PM
HCF Member
Default HELP!!! MY WIPERS WONT TURN OFF!!

ok so for some reason my wipers switch only work in the 2nd and 3rd speed, normal and fast. the intermitant and off positions dont work. my buddy told me its propably the switch. does that sound right? if i turn the switch to off the wipers move at normal speed if i turn the wipers on intermitant its on the normal speed but it makes 2 clicks. if i turn the switch to normal speed it works on normal. if i turn the switch to fast then the wipers move fast. sorry i know this explanation is kinda long but i want to give you guys all the details. (luckly its raining so i dont look like a moron, but the rain has gotta give up sometime.) also if the problem is the switch could you tell me how to take the switch apart. Thanks

Old 04-03-2008, 06:11 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: HELP!!! MY WIPERS WONT TURN OFF!!

Check your fuses in both the engine bay and under the dash, hopefully the interior fuse is blown. This happened to me and I could turn them off but the int. didn't work until I replaced the fuse. If they are all not blown thenI would say that it is switch.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:14 PM
HCF Member

how would i change the switch? is it a pita? how many wiper fuses are there? btw i like what you did to ur car looks much better!!

Old 04-03-2008, 06:16 PM
HCF Member

Thanks... Thereis only one or two fuses but I don't know which one it is because I don't know what car/year you have. You have to pull the steering wheel to replace the switch/lever thing. It really isn't very hard.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:19 PM
HCF Member

oh sorry ive got a 98 civic ex.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:12 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: hovo61788

ok so for some reason my wipers switch only work in the 2nd and 3rd speed, normal and fast. the intermitant and off positions dont work. my buddy told me its propably the switch. does that sound right? if i turn the switch to off the wipers move at normal speed if i turn the wipers on intermitant its on the normal speed but it makes 2 clicks. if i turn the switch to normal speed it works on normal. if i turn the switch to fast then the wipers move fast. sorry i know this explanation is kinda long but i want to give you guys all the details. (luckly its raining so i dont look like a moron, but the rain has gotta give up sometime.) also if the problem is the switch could you tell me how to take the switch apart. Thanks
You probably have either a faulty wiper switch or a bad integrated control unit.

Here's how to test the wiper switch:

Name:  screenshot_01-2.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  52.7 KB

Old 04-03-2008, 07:19 PM
HCF Member

i have no idea what im looking at xcept the steering wheel and the switch. um... how do i take the switch out? are switches expensive? how do i take off the plate that covers the lights and the wiper switch? thanks alot

Old 04-04-2008, 06:05 AM
HCF Member

I don't know what lights you are talking about but the cover is held in place by three screws and some clips, the screws are on the bottom behind the steeringwheel. Once you take the screws out then you can pull the cover off in two peices but pulling them apart. You could find the switch used somewhere cheap.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:33 PM
HCF Member

i fixed it... the problem was the motor, i guess the relay inside the motor went out so when i put a new motor in it worked fine. i bought a new switch plugged it in, it didnt work so i returned it. got a motor and i works fine now.