Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

HELP NEEDED, moving radiator over to drivers side.. EG is it doable?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default HELP NEEDED, moving radiator over to drivers side.. EG is it doable?

ok well HERES THE THING. i got a new toy and well NO WAY i can fit it as-is so well the problem is making room to fit these new toys after i seperate them....

i got a few ideas....
i see more room is behind the radiator. BUT problem is i cannt simply move the radiator over infront of the exaust manifold with the stock fan, plus im not sure how the cooling would be mounted there....

only thing im sure of is i have to do something with the radiators fan. maybe either a low profile fan or a fan riped off another car. i got 2 fans from a old lumina i had i believe they are lower profile so not sure if its enough or to large. i have to dig it out! i may see if i can do one infront and maybe one behind. it all depends how large these fans are. ill be back with another picture when i get them dug out.

do you think i can move the radiator infront of the exaust manifold with the fan and it be safe and not overheat still?

if i could then id have enough room to fit my new toys in..... i can easily fit the 2 smaller ones BUT the large one is more of a problem to fit.
my only other option would be to shorten the intake

just because i cannt fit these on the hood. hahahaha

quick test i did at 140PSI im checking with seller to see how much they can really take for MAX PSI.
http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...t=5c68d011.pbr

and yes my radiators top bracket is missing. bought it that way, bolt is broken and since i dont have the strap i just used another zip tie, and i know the old AC lower brackets will probably have to be cut off or at least modified if not cut off from the radiator ones and remounted..

the radiator hoses shouldnt be to hard at all to extend and relocate the radiator on the old AC tabs with alittle modification...
because i dont think ill be ever puting AC system on the car,
so if you guys think i can safely move the radiator and fan infront of the exaust manifold and not have it overheating i could easily fit the horns around the passenger side of engine bay.... to have the MAX output sound into the idiot that trys to cut me off next time!

Old 04-02-2008, 02:16 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: HELP NEEDED, moving radiator over to drivers side.. EG is it doable?

Hahaha
I love it.
No idea on moving the radiator, but that just cracks me up..[sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 04-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: HELP NEEDED, moving radiator over to drivers side.. EG is it doable?

ya i cannt wait to get this sucker fit in my car!

im just SO TIRED of almost every day geting side swiped and pushed into some concrete barriers after work!
its a 2 lane left turn that people in the left lane almost ALWAYS think its only a 1 left turn lane and i gotta slam the brakes or risk geting slamed into those huge @ss concrete barriers! and id guess these dam barricades are gonna be up for the next 6months at least! they rebuilding like 2 bridges in that area which is right next to my work so no way to avoid!

lets face it honda horns SUCK @SS!!!!!! and a train horn is loud as hell! so i should get the stupid driver next to me to stay in there dam lane! and its been this way for 8years now since i started working there, but with the concrete barricades im worried ALOT MORE!

and well i checked out my other fans i got and they are just as big as the civic fan so i think i might have to look into buying a low profile fan. just about to search right now.....
till i get a fan to fit with enough clearance i wont be able to try instaling these air horns [:@]

maybe ill pull the bumper cover off tomorow and see if i can put the horns infront of the exaust manifold instead of the radiator being moved.... definatly have to relocate the power steering cooler line, at least i think thats what its for..... doesnt look very neccesary to me BUT its probably a good idea keep and just move.....

EDIT just looked. stock fan is like 5inches thick, and a low profile fan looks like ruffly 2.6inches thick.... ill check tomorow and see if theres enough space to put a low profile fan infront of the radiator and have it push the air thru it. but i am aware that pushing is harder than pulling... so might keep it a puller fan from the back and just HOPE its enough space between manifold and fan plastics so that it wont melt.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:01 PM
June 2010 ROTM

Well, I believe you can move the radiator to the other side. BUT, you'ld have to make custom radiator hose AND the system would require a lot more coolant/water mix!

If you did move the radiator, I bet that the hose would get in the way of the horns still.

I suggest modifying the horn bracket. Instead of having where the 3 horn join being solid, take it apart and run line to each horn so that they would be somewhat independent of eachother. The only "problem" is that one horn may honk slightly before another.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:30 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well it has to be taken apart
im planing that out as well.... the listing said you could take them apart and tho you can BUT seller says now aparently his supplier stoped having the horns threaded independently but he said they must have just stoped puting threads on the horns so im gonna have to fab up my own hook ups for those horns. he said he would refund me 20bucks so i think thats stand up enough... i figure ill just either tap the tubes for threaded adaptors or just bust out some steel and adaptors and weld them up and just bolt them to the horns, one for each horn of course.

i know ill have to have them all have the same length air line. thats no problem. im just going to use standard air line on them all for ease of the instal and routing.

and alittle more coolant is no big deal...
and with the hose thats simple... afew mins behind the counter at autozone and a coat hanger i bent to basic shape i need will take 3-4hoses to get that smooth bends i need but no problem that some simple couplings cannt resolve. i just hope i can make it all fit some how..

ill get a better look at it tomorow when i replace my other strut bushing and swap bar since my parts finaly came in for that. after i find out exactly how much space i got to work with then ill know how i got to do it.
either way have to probably buy a low profile fan. looks like 120bucks if i want it quick or 50-75 off ebay but slow probably...

i thought a showd a picture of the horn that i took off. woops

i might have to do some testing with some 1/2inch air line and a 1/2inch valve since i got a few extras laying around... id hope its louder with the larger air supply lines but if not its still pretty dam loud.LOL

Old 04-02-2008, 07:13 PM
HCF Member

wouldnt that be a bad spot to put it in? with all that dirt and salt flying in there already? i saw someone else put them in the back of the car

Old 04-02-2008, 07:41 PM
HCF Member

What?
That's no fun putting them in the BACK of the car.
That's like yelling, but out your @ss--ridiculous.
How did he rig that up? Under the bumper? In the fenderwell?

Old 04-03-2008, 06:12 AM
Recognized HCF Member

DITO... I COULD put them in the rear but thats not a very good directional source to aim the loudest toward the guy im blowing at....
plus if i put these horns in the back then you would still see them from the back unless i would cut the bottom of the horns output horn but no way im going to do that!
im not trying to just have fun freaking people out... im trying to freak the idiot driver THAT NEED IT! but i probably will have alittle fun with it from time to time. but not that much... i dont want a ticket from it.LOL

i think the guy that put it in the rear was mainly just messing with people.
im not going to have the horns aiming completly forwards, they are gonna be more sideways than anything but non the less ill also wrap a rubber flap around the horns end openings.. to prevent to much dirt and debri from geting into the ends...

Old 04-03-2008, 06:22 AM
Snail'n Admin

I hope to God youre not serious.....this is beyond ricey, no matter your reasoning

Old 04-03-2008, 07:20 AM
Recognized HCF Member

how is a better horn RICE? SERIOUSLY......
now if i mounted the horns on the hood hell ya that would be rice.LOL

but im completly hiding the setup.
im completly serious about this setup! horn cost me 120bucks after i got this 20dollar refund from the horns not having threads on them.
ive already got two 2 gallon air tanks laying around and ive got some 1/2inch valves as well but im not sure if i will use them or not.... still trying to see if it will be any louder with the larger extra volume of air or not.....
so im very serious. if you think its RICE well thats your opinion.... wait till you practicaly get side swiped and ran into a concrete barriers! and then try honking the PATHETIC HONDA HORN..... do you really think that honda horn is gonna make someone move... I KNOW people dont care!
this train horn to me is very helpfull to safety.

Quick Reply: HELP NEEDED, moving radiator over to drivers side.. EG is it doable?