Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

HELP NEEDED, moving radiator over to drivers side.. EG is it doable?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 07:39 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: HELP NEEDED, moving radiator over to drivers side.. EG is it doable?

you are going to move the radiator and go through all that trouble to put some stupid horns in? I think you got the point. If you have the fan blowing hot air back into the engine compartment, that will cause a problem.

BTW where in the world do you drive that you need horns that badly?

Old 04-03-2008, 08:12 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: HELP NEEDED, moving radiator over to drivers side.. EG is it doable?

its right next to my work. and most my drive to and from work is all HEAVY road construction!!!!!
when the concrete barriers where not thier i could always move over into the half merging lane BUT with all the road contruction they have compacted all the lanes! way to tight! ive had so many close calls its not funny any more at all!
sometimes i just want to hold my ground and get the car totaled out! but at the same time i dont want to go thru all that hassle!

but you say " If you have the fan blowing hot air back into the engine compartment, that will cause a problem."

think about that a second... you do know the fan is always blowing hot air into your engine bay right? sucking in or blowing into the engine bay you still got that hot air in the engine bay thats how just about every car has been designed to be tho mine will be just moved to the front where the AC condensor is mounted on AC equipment civics.only issue is clearance with the factory fan for the radiator.

and to tell ya the truth ive never heard my fan even come on more than a few times since i got this car runing. since its a winter driver mainly i might not even actualy need the fan. but i will replace it with something.
looking for a 12inch fan for it, but i still have to pull the bumper cover off and see if i can fit the horns on the passenger side or not by simply moving the power steering cooling line.... would be easier and cheaper but time will tell later tonight. im going to go get something to eat and then start working on the car tonight.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:30 AM
mxs
HCF Member

So... the horns are there to scare the sh*t out of someone who you've already determined to be a bad driver with poor judgment? What happens when you startle them?

I suppose it's possible to move everything, have fun getting custom radiator hoses made though. You could also buy two sets of Hella Supertones for less than what you paid, and they'd fit much better in the engine bay. http://www.rallylights.com/hella/horns.asp

You definitely need the fan to run when you are sitting in traffic. At highway speeds the radiator cools itself.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:17 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: addiction2bass

its right next to my work. and most my drive to and from work is all HEAVY road construction!!!!!
when the concrete barriers where not thier i could always move over into the half merging lane BUT with all the road contruction they have compacted all the lanes! way to tight! ive had so many close calls its not funny any more at all!
sometimes i just want to hold my ground and get the car totaled out! but at the same time i dont want to go thru all that hassle!

but you say " If you have the fan blowing hot air back into the engine compartment, that will cause a problem."

think about that a second... you do know the fan is always blowing hot air into your engine bay right? sucking in or blowing into the engine bay you still got that hot air in the engine bay thats how just about every car has been designed to be tho mine will be just moved to the front where the AC condensor is mounted on AC equipment civics.only issue is clearance with the factory fan for the radiator.

and to tell ya the truth ive never heard my fan even come on more than a few times since i got this car runing. since its a winter driver mainly i might not even actualy need the fan. but i will replace it with something.
looking for a 12inch fan for it, but i still have to pull the bumper cover off and see if i can fit the horns on the passenger side or not by simply moving the power steering cooling line.... would be easier and cheaper but time will tell later tonight. im going to go get something to eat and then start working on the car tonight.
Well you are right about that, however having lots of hot air blowing so close the exhaust manifold make a problem? (that is ofcourse if your engine gets hot enough for the fan to come on)

Old 04-03-2008, 10:03 AM
Stinky Administrator

mount them on the hood thats so JdM

Old 04-03-2008, 10:10 AM
HCF Member

Hang them on your roof. I doubt if you will even have to hook them up, everyone will probably give you a lot of room. I think setting them off while in traffic may even cause an accident. In Illinois, air horns on cars are illegal.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:34 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mxs

So... the horns are there to scare the sh*t out of someone who you've already determined to be a bad driver with poor judgment? What happens when you startle them?
wel not really scare the sh*t outta them but definatly enough to say WAKE UP IDIOT IM OVER HERE!

and no definatly keeping them hidden. tho it would look funny as hell on the hood. but no keeping the looks clean as i can.
if im lucky enough i can fit the horns on the drivers side and not have to move the radiator.
just about to go outside and replace the other front bushing and then see how much room i have without the bumpercover on... or maybe ill just try to use only 2 of the horns.

but if it doesnt work out i can always put them on my truck, or im sure if i dont want them anymore than im sure my dad will buy them from me to put on his motor home to replace his stock air horns on it. so no worries.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:11 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ok well my bushing is seized so couldnt replace that but i did move the horns around and looks like i wont have to move the radiator or P/S coolerlines, just have to mount them straight up and down 2 infront of exaust manifold and MAYBE mount the smaller one on the passenger side.
something like this...

with them pointing straight down i wont have to worry about debri geting in them as well. and i can still keep my rubber flap on the front to keep the engine bay cleaner....
ill start fabing up some air joints to bolt to the air horns. the mounts and air line routing will be easy!

a 3gallon air tank up to 120PSI seems to last a good 1min estimated constant blasting. PLEANTY of air so as long as i dont have any leaks i shouldnt have to refill the tank hardly ever... depending on how much i use it that is. typical horn blasts only a few seconds.

should turn out great for me.

and last a video of the seperate horns.... the smaller horn is pretty weak but ill keep it hooked up since i can.
http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...t=f0ca3fdc.flv

and i might be able to keep the manifold and only route the other output to the smaller horn. maybe. id have to do more testing...

Old 04-03-2008, 03:38 PM
HCF Member

When i installed my horn (not as huge as yours) it said on the instructions to aim it down so a lot of dirt or water would not get in, If you aim it down you would be able to fit it in better

Old 04-03-2008, 04:11 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya the straight up and down looks to be the best fit. just have to cut some holes in the plastic UB splash shields under the horns so the sound gets out better.