Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

help with something a tad bit new/diff

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 09:41 AM
HCF Member
Talking help with something a tad bit new/diff

to avoid a flamefest or get anyones panties in a ruffle. i know its hondacivicforum.com but im having a jackass of a time trying to fix a car in particular and needed to know if anyone had the knowledge to help me in my fiasco. its not exactly a D series. but more a J32A1 LOL. its a Acura 3.2CL. anyone know anything about this car in particular or anything about the J32A1 V6?

Old 04-25-2012, 12:13 AM
HCF Member

well no one said anything. so i guess here ill go
i have a 2001 Acura 3.2cl Automatic J32a1 v6 im working on. (belongs to my girlfriends mum) and its just all out of wack and i was wondering if someone could answer a few questions for me. but for the epic story first, its hesitating when taking off and it threw a CEL. went and had the codes pulled and i got the following
P1399 UNK? wtf
p0300 Random Misfire
P0305 Cylinder 5 Misfire
P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire.
so i go to check out the ignition coils for any cosmetic damage or burning, no go
pull the spark plugs. red flag already. they had been recently changed and the bastards werent even in that tight. called her mom to ask who changed em. her jackass boyfriend that dont know **** about cars did. and didnt even use the right kind to top it all off with. he used them german Bosch type iridium plugs (Honda says NGK Platinum or Iridium). also read a thread from here
http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=720450
that the TL ignition System dont like these and will destroy em quickly. so she needs new sparks.
so i continue looking into it and cant even find a damn manual for a 3.2CL on the net "does anyone know of one?" and i come across this as concerning Random misfires
Acura 3.2 TL, CL, MDX misfire repair Procedure (Tech Bulletin).wmv - YouTube
so i rip the manifold apart and behold

another view

and another
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l1...DSCN1238-1.jpg
dirty as ****. another thing that bothered me is theirs OIL IN THE INTAKE MANIFOLD? wtf.

so i clean out the passages and the intake manifold top plate and this is pretty much what it is supposed to look like

next i get to the intake manifold and tear it apart (yes it sucks the fuel injectors are hidden underneath it) and primarily to see how the hell oil got into the intake manifold. and all i see is a EGR passage so im going to assume oil came in thru that way. i get to fuel rail, unbolt and lift and find 3 fuel injectors with busted tips FULL of carbon buildup

and

so as im sitting here waiting for 3 new fuel injectors to arrive. as for the questions lol
1 Can these fuel injectors be possibly reused? i ordered her some replacements and read online that the tip makes a certain spray pattern and that will be hampered if i reuse em. another worry i have is these tips have o ring seals on em. so if the tips are gone could it leak fuel?
2 does anyone know of a Acura CL FSM in adobe on the net?? only ones i found covered are the Integra.
3 does anyone know how you can check the coils with a multimeter? i checked these ones and found some resistance values were higher than others .
someone told me to plug em in and ground the spark plug tip with a jumper cable and check for spark but ill do that last resort
4. how much should i charge the lady? i cleaned out her EGR ports and her intake manifold, cleaned the surviving fuel injectors and going to install some replacements when they come (est 24th april to 28th). i wana charge her a fair price for the work ive had to do to this beast but i dont wana tax the **** outa her like a stealership would LOL. can i get some of your opinions on this?
5. lets say these injectors get here and the car still throws codes? what other avenue should i explore next? this is my first J32a1 motor working on (i own a CRX and am used to those kinda motors lol)

Old 04-25-2012, 05:31 AM
HCF Member

I'm pretty hesitant to point the finger at the Bosch plugs for this. Bosch Platinums are good quality plugs, but some people swear by NGK, too. Did you double-check to make sure they were the correct heat range and gapped correctly?

The oil in the intake manifold could be from a bad EGR valve, but I'd also give a good look at the PCV valve. A stuck one will let a ton of oil into the intake manifold.

I think you're on the right track to test the COP units. If it's a couple cylinders that are showing a misfire, I'd look at the ignition. COPs are expensive, so make sure you know what you're doing before testing them so you don't ruin them.

1. I would say that yes, the fuel injectors can be re-used with a proper cleaning. If you're worried about the o-rings, go get a new set (they're like $2 each at any auto parts store).

2. Nope, but what else uses that engine? It might just be a matter of looking for something like a FSM for a TL or RDX or something.

3. No, but I'll bet mk378 knows how to check a COP via multi-meter.

4. If it belongs to your girlfriend's mom, and you like her, and you like your girlfriend, just charge her for parts. In some cases, brownie points are worth a whole lot more than cash (this coming from a married man with in-laws). If she still insists on paying you for anything other than parts, tell her something nominal like $50.

5. If it's still throwing codes (make sure you reset them when you're done), it'll probably be new codes to troubleshoot. Just see how this round of cleaning works out, and go from there.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:33 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Your photos are waay too large.

Replace those broken injectors. If it has adjustable valves, check / adjust them. Oil in the intake naturally came from the crankcase, either through the PCV valve or the valve cover breather. Some is normal but a worn engine or bad PCV valve will cause more.

Check for dead cylinders by disconnecting injectors one at a time. Testing coils with a meter is notoriously unreliable, test them under live fire by swapping around to different cylinders and see if the problem follows the coil. Parts stores can look up which plugs were stock, if you want platinums use the ones that look like conventional plugs with a single side electrode. Don't use multiple side electrode plugs.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:05 PM
HCF Member

so update. put the car back together and got the Denso spark plugs for the car. took it to vatozone lol and the following codes popped up
P0300
P0301
P0305
P0306
P1399

im at my facking wits end here. if i get coils for it and it still dont fix it imma say the timing belt skipped a tooth. and lol sorry about the pics mk. but ill check out the coils tomorrow. got new plugs for it, got some injectors to throw in too. but when i drove it to vatozone it didnt feel right. so i drove it grannystatus the whole way lol

Originally Posted by ChristianL
I'm pretty hesitant to point the finger at the Bosch plugs for this. Bosch Platinums are good quality plugs, but some people swear by NGK, too. Did you double-check to make sure they were the correct heat range and gapped correctly?
i went ahead and looked up alldata and got her the plugs that are OE, which werent even facking iridiums. i got the Denso PKJ16CR-L11

The oil in the intake manifold could be from a bad EGR valve, but I'd also give a good look at the PCV valve. A stuck one will let a ton of oil into the intake manifold.
i cleaned out the pcv valve and got out alot of the gunk in the egr valves. i drove it a tad today after reassembly and it still felt like ****.

I think you're on the right track to test the COP units. If it's a couple cylinders that are showing a misfire, I'd look at the ignition. COPs are expensive, so make sure you know what you're doing before testing them so you don't ruin them.
i think i know what im doing as testing them but whats your input on that subject?

1. I would say that yes, the fuel injectors can be re-used with a proper cleaning. If you're worried about the o-rings, go get a new set (they're like $2 each at any auto parts store).
but the thing is the plastic tip is completely broken off. cant mount a o ring on the tip if its gone lol

2. Nope, but what else uses that engine? It might just be a matter of looking for something like a FSM for a TL or RDX or something.
i get ya. but the problem is finding the manual for another car with the same engine but the same OBD version. which is OBDII.