Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

hesitation when car warms up

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 06:21 PM
Default hesitation when car warms up

Boy what a mess those a** holes caused .Great job admin. on taking care of the problem. I have a 93 civic and it has a problem taking off when it warms up to normal temp. I seems like it is flooding itself out untill I give it some r.p.m. It doesn't stall but it want's to bog down , but only when it's at full running temp. It's like when the thermostat opens. Could it be a temperature sensor of some sort. Hope someone can help , I parked it untill I figure out what's up.

Thanks
Gunner,

Old 01-24-2005, 07:06 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: hesitation when car warms up

Im not sure what exactly you mean but if you are talking about how it likes to shift a little more quickly (auto only) and its a little more peppy in the morning thats because its purposley trying to warm up and is safe and normal. Your owners manual will tell you that.

Old 01-25-2005, 07:35 PM

thanks for the reply, What it is ,is that the car runs great when it is cold and even when it warms up a little. Only when it reaches full temp I have to feather the pedal to take off other wise it bogs down. It is a manual trans. and it does it every time I shift gears (every time the RPM goes back to an idle and I try to speed up. I hope this will help explain it a little better.
thank you,
gunner

Old 01-25-2005, 09:45 PM

is the temp gauge at or near the red? Because that's not normal operating temperature, thats overheating. It should be right in the middle.

Old 01-26-2005, 12:14 AM
HCF Member

i cant quite place the problem, but you might try doing a compression test to see if you have a head gasket problem. just a hunch....

Old 01-26-2005, 01:18 AM

If it was a serious head gasket (leak), he would be getting some steam either from under the hood or out the tailpipe.

Old 01-26-2005, 01:23 AM

You might also want to check your cooling system for blockages. If the coolant isn't circulating enough, the heat could be causing the ECU to short-change the injection to prevent overheating.

Old 01-26-2005, 06:55 PM
HCF Member

yeah, and head gasket leaks are usually the other way around. it runs like crap till it warms up and the metal expands to close the gaps, but its worth a try, and a compression test isnt too hard.

Old 01-26-2005, 07:06 PM

When was the last time you did a tune up? Cause my 86 honda prelude did the same thing and i did a tune up and ran like a top.

Old 01-27-2005, 01:37 AM

ORIGINAL: fast97

i did a tune up and ran like a top.
So now you car just goes in circles?

I go along with the cooling thought. Honda's have one of the smallest radiators known to mankind and many times when they over heat (blockage, bad fan, bad temp sensor, etc) will cause this very problem. The best part is the temp gauge many times will read in a normal range allowing you to think everything is OK in the coolant department. And this is where the head gasket comes in, or should I say "goes out".

Quick Reply: hesitation when car warms up