Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Hi all - abs/brake light

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 03:47 PM
Default Hi all - abs/brake light

Evening all, just got a 07 honda civic. previous owner changed the tires to 17's.

Dealer I got from said I need a new speed sensor (l/r) and abs/vsr modulator

I can see that with the abs light on, if there is an abs issue should the brake light also come on?

Also curious if its the 17" rims, no idea if the guy messed up the aspect ratio (tire height)

Anyway looking around for stock honda rims since these are gaudy 17", and they will be $$$ to replace the tires (my acura TL-S wasnt cheap either).

Anyway thanks in advance!

Greg

Old 05-31-2011, 04:41 PM
HCF Member

If the wheels/tires are causing the problem, wouldn't you have seen the ABS lights when you first test-drove the car?

What size are are tires? Your optional sizes are:

195/65/15
205/55/16
215/45/17

The 17s would improve handling if they are lightweight. Unfortunately, the majority of aftermarket wheels are heavier than smaller stock wheels. I made sure my 16" wheels + tires were the same weight or lighter than the OEM 14" wheels and tires.

No, the brake light is independent of the ABS light in that the typical cause of a brake light illumination is low brake fluid or an emergency brake that is not fully disengaged. ABS lights are normally due to an electrical issue of sorts.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:14 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The ABS computer cannot care about tire size. It has no way to tell. Check that your speed sensors at each wheel are still there and hooked up.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:39 PM
HCF Member

No, if the ABS light is ON it doesn't mean that the RED brake light will go on as well.

You are safe to drive with the Yellow/Amber ABS light on. It just means there is a problem with the ABS system, which will cause the ABS "feature" to not be activated. (like driving a car without abs.) Your "base brakes" will still function just fine even with the abs light on..

Old 05-31-2011, 07:39 PM
HCF Member

Did they say why you need to replace the modulator I would go with the speed sensor 1st then see if the light goes out and also check to see if you fluid is low if not check to see if you don't have a bad Ebrake switch or resevior sensor

Old 06-04-2011, 05:14 PM

will do, ill check the speed sensors, they are easy to change and only 30ish each.

think i need to adjust the rear brake/parking brake or see if its the parking brake sensor

need to check the size he put on, i know its 17, think 45 not sure f width...

would him painitng the calipers while they were on the wheel have a chance to mess up the speed sensor?

Old 06-08-2011, 02:35 PM
HCF Member

Most generally no they wouldnt affect the sensor unless he painted a thick coat over the face of it there by blocking the magnetic pulse from the ring on the axle, that is if he did paint it from the back side too. The signal is AC volts generated from the "teeth" on the ring, up makes a magnetic field and the lower valleys break the field thus creating your magnetic pulse, the faster the wheel spins the higher the voltage sent to the ABS computer

Old 06-06-2013, 06:16 PM
Default Victory

Well I needed to change all the bearings because some where going. One of the rears where bad, and a little loose actually. fun fun

One of the fronts where bad too. Anyway, I found out the problem, the dumb *** before me installed the front bearings in backwards so the magnetic pickup was away from the pickup sensor.

Soon as I did both fronts, bam no abs light or brake light. Did a test on grass, abs working fine!

Thanks though all for the advice... thankfully friend had access to a press or I would have been raped for the cost to do the labor...