Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

high idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 10:39 AM
Default high idle

Hi Guys,

Hoping someone can help me with this. I'm going to try and explain the issue as best as I can.. but first the car:

98 Honda Civic Vtec with B16A motor. The car is 100% stock standard.

I have noticed that the car sometimes takes a while for the engine to spin down to normal idle speed, Probably best explained by way of example:

Driving along normally at about 60km/h on third gear with engine rev's ar at about 3000 rpm. Encounter some traffic and need to break, so I push the clutch in and break. The engine rpm drops to normal idle speed, however it takes a while (maybe like 3 seconds)to get normal idle speed. Its almost like something is holding the rev's higher than it should be.

However this behavior only happens sometimes. Most times it will drop to normal idle speed pretty quickly(maybe a second at most)

I feel like something is about to go on the car and this is the early indications of the problem. Ideally I'd like to get to the bottom of it before I'm left at the side of the road.

Anybody else have this problem?

Apologies in advance for the title of this post, I have no idea what to call it.

Thanks
Sam