Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

High Idle Problem

Old 04-24-2008, 09:28 AM
HCF Member
Default High Idle Problem

Ok, so when I turn the car on the rpms jump right to 1.5-1.9. They stay there for a little while even if I have the clutch all the way in. Now I know for a fact that before this when when i had the clutch all the way in it would drop the rpms down to 0, which it should. After o lets say about ten minutes the rpms drop to about .5. So i dont understand y all of a sudden this happened. Any help would be greatly appriciated. I was talking to a guy and he said the thermostat....but im guesing there could be more that 1 problem going on.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: High Idle Problem

ORIGINAL: croninc

Ok, so when I turn the car on the rpms jump right to 1.5-1.9.
To address this problem, I would start by cleaning the IACV. You might also try to bleed the cooling system of possible trapped air.

They stay there for a little while even if I have the clutch all the way in. Now I know for a fact that before this when when i had the clutch all the way in it would drop the rpms down to 0, which it should.
I don't understand why you think the idle rpms should drop to 0 when you push in the clutch.

I was talking to a guy and he said the thermostat....but im guesing there could be more that 1 problem going on.
Is the engine also overheating? I don't think a bad thermostat would cause the abnormally high idle rpms.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:03 PM
HCF Member

well the rpms never b4 this situation where anything but at zero so idk

Old 04-24-2008, 07:10 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I'm not sure what year Civic you have, but the normal idle speed should be about 700 rpm without a load.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:19 PM
HCF Member

is your engine overheating? then you might have a blown head gasket.

and if your idling too much, it could be your throttle body is clogged up of too much carbon or dirt build up

Old 04-24-2008, 08:34 PM
HCF Member

i have a 99 ex coupe, nope not overheating because my temp gauge stays nice and low like normal, but for it to shoot up to almost 2k rpms and then chill there for a little while is completely unnormal, after awhile it drops to around 500 so i guesing its not a big deal but little things usually turn in big things so i want to get this fixed because it never did this before and plus im using more gas. THANK YOU GUYS FOR YOUR HELP

Old 04-26-2008, 09:12 PM
HCF Member

Ok well this problem has how escalated...I was driving today and when idling my rpms would jump from 1-1.5 It would just keep doing that over and over again. And finally a orange light went on in the dash board and said check i think. Well i think one of my hoses has a leak but im not sure which one i forgot the name of it. I can hear a hissing sound when the engine is in idle. I'm not sure where to start.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:17 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Try to precisely localize the hissing noise. Then, take a picture of the hissing component and post it in this thread.

Here's how to pull the CEL code:

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/1901557

Old 04-26-2008, 09:24 PM
HCF Member

o vacuum hose!!!! I think thats the problem....would this cause the check engine light to go on and my idle problem, thanks for the code btw

Old 04-26-2008, 09:31 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Yep, vacuum or intake air leak is a textbook cause for idle problems. Still do pull the CEL code, as it will likely aid in fixing the problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: High Idle Problem