Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Honda Civic 07 Right Engine Mount

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Default Honda Civic 07 Right Engine Mount

Hi Everyone,
I have two questions
- My Civic 07 2dr makes sort of a grinding noise (as if something's boiling), whenever I start the first time after parking overnight. It does the same thing when I put it on reverse. At first the noises went away as soon as I put it on Drive, but lately I can hear some noise even when I put it on Drive. Here's the thing, those noises almost never come back after I have driven for couple of miles. But they come back again the next morning or whenever I am parked for more than 6-7 hrs.

So... I talked to a mechanic and he said my right engine mount must be replaced...is he right? and if so... he suggested getting an after market engine mount for $100 where as OEM costs $250... plus labor... so if he is right is it a good idea to get aftermarket engine mounts...

any kind of reply will be highly appreciated.. thanks

Old 08-12-2011, 03:56 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Usually a bad engine mount is more of a banging noise, from parts hitting metal on metal because the rubber cushion is broken.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:37 AM
Default 07 Civic engine mount

Originally Posted by eaglefox12
Hi Everyone,
I have two questions
- My Civic 07 2dr makes sort of a grinding noise (as if something's boiling), whenever I start the first time after parking overnight. It does the same thing when I put it on reverse. At first the noises went away as soon as I put it on Drive, but lately I can hear some noise even when I put it on Drive. Here's the thing, those noises almost never come back after I have driven for couple of miles. But they come back again the next morning or whenever I am parked for more than 6-7 hrs.

So... I talked to a mechanic and he said my right engine mount must be replaced...is he right? and if so... he suggested getting an after market engine mount for $100 where as OEM costs $250... plus labor... so if he is right is it a good idea to get aftermarket engine mounts...

any kind of reply will be highly appreciated.. thanks
Hi, I have the EXACT same car with the EXACT same problem! In the morning when the engine is cold I get noises from the passenger side engine compartment. These noises seem to change in type and intensity almost daily. It can be a tin-can vibration, a rumbling, buzzing, clunking or a combination. ALWAYS, after I've driven for about 5-8 minutes the noises STOP! One morning I started the car and then by simply placing my hand with a small amount of pressure on the engine mount support arm it caused the noise to stop. I assume that once the engine heat causes the metal in the support to expand and the rubber damper to soften that this dampens the vibrations.
I did find that the bolt on the back of the arm-support was just slightly loose so I tightened it as much as possible. I will find out later if it worked.
Did you resolve your problem?

Old 09-24-2011, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by av8nautiger
Hi, I have the EXACT same car with the EXACT same problem! In the morning when the engine is cold I get noises from the passenger side engine compartment. These noises seem to change in type and intensity almost daily. It can be a tin-can vibration, a rumbling, buzzing, clunking or a combination. ALWAYS, after I've driven for about 5-8 minutes the noises STOP! One morning I started the car and then by simply placing my hand with a small amount of pressure on the engine mount support arm it caused the noise to stop. I assume that once the engine heat causes the metal in the support to expand and the rubber damper to soften that this dampens the vibrations.
I did find that the bolt on the back of the arm-support was just slightly loose so I tightened it as much as possible. I will find out later if it worked.
Did you resolve your problem?
ya... they changed my right engine mount... they said it was cracked... the noise is gone... take it to ur local mechanic instead of a dealer... honda dealer quoted $500+... whereas I got it fixed for $320 with labor at my local shop...

Old 09-25-2011, 04:44 AM

Thanks. I'm also going to fill out a complaint at Safecar.gov. Keep the receipt maybe they'll do a recall. My car is a 2007 but with only 38000 miles this shouldn't happen; at least not where I drive!

Old 10-14-2011, 06:38 PM

I took it to my dealer and they said it was covered under the powertrain warranty...no charge!!