Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

overheating- death on engine blocks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 04:53 PM
Default overheating- death on engine blocks?

I picked up a couple of DX CRXs (88 & 90) that bubbled through the radiator. They ran OK but never really road tested them to see if they burned much oil. Installed headgaskets on both; ground valves and replaced stem seals on the solid car (rustbucket won't last too many more Michgan salty winters). The rustbucket has compression 140-150 now on all 4, and the CA body 180-190! No more bubbling, BUT.....
BOTH BURN BILLOWING CLOUDS OF OIL SMOKE!
I've had heads on and off of both cars. Searched high and low for oil source, plugged hoses, and no blowby whatsoever, normal leakdown evenly on all 4. There's no oil inside intake runners. PCV oil free and they still smoke with PCV disconnected. Even plugged off brake booster. Vacuum tested good, too. Pulled pistons out of good car, cylinders and pistons show normal wear, ring grooves clean as a whistle and the rings are shiny, springy and free.
No one has come up with an explanation on any forum as yet. I discussed the situation with a young guy that is up on hot rodding Hondas. He says the B motors oval out the cylinders if they are run overheated and burn oil- they're junk.
I am not sure how much credence to put in his opinion, but it is intriguing. I intend to try to examine cylinder bore dimensions soon.
How many experts out there swear by the diagnosis, and how many out the swear at it?

Old 10-15-2011, 03:39 AM
HCF Member

I would remove plugs and see which cylinder(s) is/are burning oil. Then check valve stem seal installation on that cylinder(s).