Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Honda Civic 1997 LX AC and Oxygen Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 08:55 PM
HCF Member
Question Honda Civic 1997 LX AC and Oxygen Sensor

Hello.

I need someone help or advice w/e comes first.

I had engine light come on me and I took it to autozone, and they plug in
the reader thing and reported my Oxygen Sensor bank 1 is low or w/e
now my question how difficult to replace it your self?

Now today my AC is not cooling anymore I hit the ac button and no cool air. It was working few day back and i went to Lubbock, TX the ac cool fine whole way there until today. So what could be low on freon or my ac is dead?
now if the freon is low what kind this car use and there any online instruction the location of the valve to recharge it ?

Probably ya going to say take to a shop well I'm currently unemployed and lost my job 3 weeks ago so low on cash... :-/

Old 04-06-2010, 09:05 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Post the specific O2 sensor code that AutoZone pulled.

Turn the key to ON(II), turn on the blower fan, and push the A/C button. Does the button light turn on and does the condenser fan to the left of the radiator fan turn on?

Old 04-06-2010, 09:38 PM
HCF Member

ok here pic of under the hood where the circle is that only fan was on and the AC button green light was on... I usually hear small hum when ac was running but now don't hear it you know the hum thats make when u turn AC on your house etc...

now I don't remember the code for the OBD II I will get the tomorrow and post here. He check the code on his computer and said oxygen sensor on bank1 and show me how much the little thing cost but i don't remember the code... may be p0420 not 100% sure.

thank u

Last edited by mc00; 04-06-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:52 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The next step for A/C troubleshooting is to have a buddy push the A/C button while the engine is idling and the vent blower is running while you watch and listen under the hood for whether the compressor clutch engages. Post the results.

P0420 would indicate a bad catalytic converter or an exhaust leak, not a bad O2 sensor.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:53 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
The next step for A/C troubleshooting is to have a buddy push the A/C button while the engine is idling and the vent blower is running while you watch and listen under the hood for whether the compressor clutch engages. Post the results.

P0420 would indicate a bad catalytic converter or an exhaust leak, not a bad O2 sensor.

OK I did the AC test, and I was under the car and I told my friend to hit AC button awhile the car engine was idle and when she hit the button the car would sound like is accelerating and small click sound and I told her to hit ac button off and than accelerator sound goes off than she did it again and when back on again... so i guess is working?

now i confirm today 100% is a p0420...

Old 04-07-2010, 09:36 AM
Recognized HCF Member

For the A/C, the next step is to hook up a manifold gauge set to determine whether the refrigerant pressure is low or absent. Some auto parts stores may offer free rentals for the gauges. If the pressure is low or gone, then the system has a leak. To pinpoint the source of the leak, recharge the system with refrigerant containing a leak-detecting dye. The location where the dye appears identifies the leaking component.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:21 AM
HCF Member

I did visual inspection and found this broken belt and I think is the belt for the compressor

Old 04-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You have discovered the problem. Buy a new A/c belt and install it.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:11 PM
HCF Member

well t I got into more debt with my credit card I had to replace all 3 of the belts came out to 128 bucks with labor and taxes from expert tire... now I don't know wtf to do with the catalytic converter I'm going check the sensor to see lost cable or something but cause I already got price range 500 bucks plus labor... man i don't have the kind of cash... eh. I have done my best take care of this car and has serve me well so far but damn lol...

Old 04-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Recognized HCF Member

A bad O2 sensor would not throw code P0420. If you don't have an exhaust leak, then the cat is almost surely dead. But first reset the ECU to see whether the code repeats.

Quick Reply: Honda Civic 1997 LX AC and Oxygen Sensor