Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Honda civic ex problems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 04:20 PM
Red face Honda civic ex problems?

Joined the honda family seven months ago with my HONDA CIVIC EX 2003 and recently been having some problems with it. Please let me know if you can help with this.

Recently as I turn the key to start the car, there is a buzzing noise (the same noise it would make if the starter would be dead) but the car starts fine. It just makes a noise for a second but I feel it might be a start of something. You have any ideas?

Second problem is that my car rattles like crazy when im in DRIVE and the Brakes are applied, when im in nuetral it goes down a little and when im in park it stops all together. Have any ideas?

Thank you guys for your time and trouble.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:29 PM
HCF Member

If more detail on history of maintenance is available, it would help more to brain storm for better idea.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:11 PM

I might be of assistance with the 2nd problem, the brake rotors might be warped, if you take the wheels off spin the rotors and visually inspect. The "bump" in the rotor might be tapping the brake pads as you apply them, this is likely the problem. If not sure take to a brake place and they can quickly tell.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Recognized HCF Member

First problem could be loose connections at the battery. When it does that, do all the lights in the car go out?

Old 12-02-2010, 06:10 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Slammed98silvercoupe
I might be of assistance with the 2nd problem, the brake rotors might be warped, if you take the wheels off spin the rotors and visually inspect. The "bump" in the rotor might be tapping the brake pads as you apply them, this is likely the problem. If not sure take to a brake place and they can quickly tell.
In order to conduct such inspection properly, you would need a dial gauge. Get the reading and compare it with service limitation listed on the service manual.

The OP is saying there is difference with gears in drive or neutral. This is something that makes me lost on getting clear idea to the problem,,,,. It shows that I don't have that much experience working on cars.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:24 PM
Default idle concern

my son recently purchased a 98 honda civic ex has had engine and trans swap see alot of plugs laying in engine compartment idle up and down when cold smooths out warm.the idle control valve is under the throttle body not on the back of the intake manifold like the one on his friends was told that alot of his prob is that it has an auto ecm and it is a standard now .could some one help on this.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:36 PM
HCF Member

bayview, the rattle in your 2nd problem could be a loose heat shield. Mine starting rattling real bad after a similar number of years. The heat shield is very thin metal and is welded on in 2 spots which rusts very quickly.

Get under the car and look for the shield or start the car and look under if for it to start rattling. It is very obvious when you look.

@b217 please start your own thread.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:31 PM
HCF Member
Default heat shield

I have a 99 ex and also had a bad rattle problem.. i found my rattle coming from the heat shield..i just bent mine up out of the ay more and that solved my rattle..cant say for shure that this is your problem but its something to check out.