Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Hood latching problem...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 02:52 PM
HCF Member
Default Hood latching problem...

Hey guys,
I've had this problem since buying the car.
The hood had been replaced, hood 'pin' and all. But the hood does not latch down.
There is two 'modes' in which the hood is closed, one when you pull the lever so that you can release the hood, and two where you must grab the release attached to the hood. From outside the car, I can yank on my hood to open it, and grab the release... It won't latch down.
Does that make sense?

Old 08-23-2010, 04:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Make sure the primary latch (on the bottom part) is in the open position with the hood open, and the latch works. There is a lever that flips across to capture the bar on the hood as it is closed. You can see that happen by pushing a screwdriver shaft or something into the slot to simulate the bar on the hood. When you pull the handle inside the car, the lever should pop back to the open position.

If it is open, loosen the bolts and move the latch up so it engages the hood sooner. Repeat the adjustment as needed until the hood latches every time and stays down far enough to match the fenders.

Last edited by mk378; 08-23-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:34 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by mk378
Make sure the primary latch (on the bottom part) is in the open position with the hood open, and the latch works. There is a lever that flips across to capture the bar on the hood as it is closed. You can see that happen by pushing a screwdriver shaft or something into the slot to simulate the bar on the hood. When you pull the handle inside the car, the lever should pop back to the open position.

If it is open, loosen the bolts and move the latch up so it engages the hood sooner. Repeat the adjustment as needed until the hood latches every time and stays down far enough to match the fenders.
I think I know what you're talking about, and I don't think the lever is moving. I'll check tomorrow when it is light out... it was kinda gloomy and rainy today.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:03 AM
HCF Member

Well, I got around to checking it out.
Turns out, the hood latch was seized open due to a bunch of crap from over the years...
Swapped it out in like 10 mins (installed the new latch through the bumper grill)
Thanks!!!