Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

How Can My Del Sol Go Fast?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 06:03 PM
Default How Can My Del Sol Go Fast?

Yes, a very vague and general question, but I thought I'd ask anyway. I know very little about cars and even less about upgrading them, but I am very eager to learn. I'm just not sure where to start.
I've looked around on the forum and found a few sites that I'm going to check out... But I thought I'd ask an open ended question in case anyone else wanted info and didn't ask yet...

There's alot of information here about car upgrades, but people tell me things like.. Del Sol's are too small for most engines.. or they're too small to put a powerful engine.. and whatnot, so I wasn't sure what to do. Also it's an automatic and I would assume I'd need to do a tranny swap (that's what it's called right?) and I wouldn't know how to go about doing that either.. or should I do that first before anything else..

Basically, I'd like to work on the car, and learn somethings about engines in the process and I thought maybe you guys could give me some tips or pointers. Anything would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 05-13-2006, 07:12 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: How Can My Del Sol Go Fast?

u wanna make it the fastest del sol you have ever seen.. put it for sale..2k..and it will be gone soo fast..cause ill buy it.. and then ull see a fast sol...now as for making it fast and keeping it.. swap in a b18 or b16 and do the 5 speed tranny swap which will be a bitch for you since ur not too mechanically inclined...most ppl will rack you probably 2k just for the swap.. and another 2-3 k for the engine... how much did u get ur sol for?.. i love sols... but ur better off with a civic.. its got a lighter frame cause they dont need reinforced where the targa is... if u are wanting to sell anytime soon let me know.. i would soooooo take it off ur hands... no matter what condition... im dying for my sol

Old 05-13-2006, 08:11 PM
HCF Member

A couple of relatively easy bolt-on mods that will unleash more horsepower from your little engine are:

-Change the stock intake. Remove the airbox, air filter and tubing. Replace it with a cold air intake or short ram.

-Replace your (presumably) stock exhaust with a 2.25" catback exhaust.

-Replace your exhaust manifold with high quality headers.

Those are usually the first 3 mods people do to increase their hp. If you plan to do an engine swap, then you might as well disregard this post. [8D]

Old 05-17-2006, 04:16 AM

Well thanks for the information you guys. And..er.. no I don't intend on selling the del sol.. I am curious as to how I would go about doing an engine swap.. and any ideas how that would probably cost me? I highly doubt I could or should attempt to do this myself, but then again I don't wanna spend a ridiculolus amount of money just for the service... I justt wondered if there was any place online that I could look around at engines and whatnot.

Old 05-17-2006, 10:40 PM

try hmotorsonline.com they have a few selections

Old 05-20-2006, 11:21 PM

push your right foot harder on the throttle. Just kidding. The more you spend (usually) the faster the car will go. There is a FINITE limit to how far you can go with stock connecting rods. Good luck.